Gearbox noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox noise.

I have a chrome bumper MGB gearbox in my roadster which has always made a curious noise when decelerating, something like 2 metal discs spinning against each other.
    This almost went away the year before last when I topped up the oil in it. however it has come back I once again topped up the oil but this time it didn't quieten down.
    I have a spare laiter gearbox which I keep putting off fitting incase it causes me other problems.
    My questions are dose any one know what the noise is likely to be? (How do I fix it) and secondly is the MG laiter box completely interchangeable with the earlier one?

Mark.

Re: Gearbox noise.

Try mixing some graphite powder (2 teaspoon full) with some fresh gearbox oil - if it is an overdrive gearbox dont use graphite !!!

Comment

Thanks but it is an overdrive box.
      I am going to inspect the newer box tonight it looks like I am going to have to swap it over and see what happens.

Comment

Hi Mark, check the u/j bearings on the propshaft first. May just be that...see my previous posts re my propshaft.
        Gareth.

Comment

Hi Mark, hope the replacement box works OK....... re your speedo!! sorry cant help but try googling "Repair Jaeger and Smiths Speedometers" by Anthony Rhodes.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by mark.westbrookwhite View Post
            I have a chrome bumper MGB gearbox in my roadster which has always made a curious noise when decelerating, something like 2 metal discs spinning against each other.
            This almost went away the year before last when I topped up the oil in it. however it has come back I once again topped up the oil but this time it didn't quieten down.
            I have a spare laiter gearbox which I keep putting off fitting incase it causes me other problems.
            My questions are dose any one know what the noise is likely to be? (How do I fix it) and secondly is the MG laiter box completely interchangeable with the earlier one?

Mark.
            Layshaft thrust washer worn? - the one that takes the load on overrun. Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
              Layshaft thrust washer worn? - the one that takes the load on overrun. Peter.
              Interesting I will investigate.
              Someone else has also sujested the UJ's so i will drop the propshaft first and have a look at that.

Thanks Ben I will try that after I have sorted the gearbox.

Comment

l I recon that will be the reason then.IMG_2115.JPG

Comment

Cant remember the last time I saw a carbon faced thrust bearing
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                    Cant remember the last time I saw a carbon faced thrust bearing
                    I have one in my old Sunbeam Talbot! You can't sit at traffic lights with the clutch out and in gear with those, like you can with modern cars with diaphragm clutch / ball thrust race bearing. If you do then the photo above is very soon the result. Peter.

Comment

Because there is nowhere to rest my clutch foot i suspect that is why mine looks like this after three years.

Comment

should always were protective gloves - especially with some of the chemicals in todays modern oils !!

Comment

You notice my hands are clean as I had just taken min off. My son however :0/

Comment

Working...
                          X