Marina front suspension modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina front suspension modification

There was recently a trials Marlin for sale on eBay. Did anybody else notice that the front suspension had been modified to an "A" lower wishbone and coil over arrangement.
    Does anybody know anything about this car and how this was done. Even better if someone has close up pictures of the front end.
    Front Suspension 2.JPG
    Front Suspension 1-cropped.jpg

Mind you, it is only worth it if someone can report that it was an improvement over the existing arrangement and that the new geometry did not cause any handling issues. I know that the trials cars had camber issues when the ride height was raised and the usual fix was to space out the bottom eye so maybe this is a better solution but not really for a road car. Thoughts anyone!!??
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Re: Marina front suspension modification

If I were to go to that much trouble I would fit modern uprights. IMHO modifying the tie rods to make them adjustable would yield a bigger improvement in the handling.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I think that car was from North Wales - if so then I talked to the owner several times (it turned out he was a student of mine back in the day!) and he told me the car had been really very successful so any mods would have been well tried and tested. I believe the car has been sold to a film company in Dublin recently.

Comment

The issue that I have with it is that it retains the trunnion which is the very bit I'd want to get rid of.
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Adjustable tie rods, Superflex bushes for tie rods and lower eyebolt. General check over of all suspension components, Split the two lower arms and then re-secure them to remove any inbuilt tension, check the fore and aft play on the Mini Top wishbone for slack.
          then check your steering rack, bushes etc as well as any uj's and and rubber couplings as well as the steering column upper and lower bushes!

It was reported that there was noticeable differences on some kits, where suspension mounts were 'out of position' without accurate measuring tools, on a flat surface this would be difficult to confirm unless someone has detailed chassis dimensions.

Torsion bars can become tired in a particular rotation. It is not generally accepted that they can be swapped left to right side, but in the absence of new parts, it's worth a try.

Apart from that, look ou for a hybrid, or all triumph car. Their front suspension was considered very good back in the early seventies.

I wonder though, in today's litigious world, whether substantial suspension mods would meet legislative requirements, where a Trials car may not have to worry.

Comment

Working...
          X