Clunk Clunk Under and behind me !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunk Clunk Under and behind me !!

Clunk, Clunk ?? was buggin me. You know how it is, you just got to find out what it is !. I had put new bolts in for the seat belt fixings after doing extensive refurb on the Roadster and upon investigating underneath looking for a cause and jumping up and down on the rear bumper bar seeking out noises found that the bolt was hitting the rear springs both sides .Not much tolerance between the body and the spring movement. So when going over bumps while driving there was the illusive clunking noise, bit worrying hearing clunking noises eh !! Swapped the bolts for flatter round head Allen bolts that fit flusher now and they don't catch the spring now so no Clunks. Luverly Jubbley

Re: Clunk Clunk Under and behind me !!

Originally posted by old-n-notpastityet View Post
    Clunk, Clunk ?? was buggin me. You know how it is, you just got to find out what it is !. I had put new bolts in for the seat belt fixings after doing extensive refurb on the Roadster and upon investigating underneath looking for a cause and jumping up and down on the rear bumper bar seeking out noises found that the bolt was hitting the rear springs both sides .Not much tolerance between the body and the spring movement. So when going over bumps while driving there was the illusive clunking noise, bit worrying hearing clunking noises eh !! Swapped the bolts for flatter round head Allen bolts that fit flusher now and they don't catch the spring now so no Clunks. Luverly Jubbley
    Its a bit of a design flaw, but can be exasperated if the leaf spring bushes are also a bit tired.

Comment

I had exactly the same thing Steve and moved the bolts to the floor with support plates to spread the load.
      I wondered what it was as it only happened occasionally.
      Gareth.

Comment

Oh well all's well now, no more clunks and thanks for the input about the spring bushes. I wondered if it may be play in them at first and checked them for wear but then found the problem.

Comment

Working...
        X