Gearbox upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox upgrade

After the C2C run my gearbox is very noisy and sounds like a bearing is about to fail so I'm considering upgrading it to a type 9 box.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Re: Gearbox upgrade

That should be a fairly simple change on a Pinto lump. Ford kindly used the same gearbox flange for many variants. The word should, disguises the several challenges you will face.
    Good luck.

Comment

Re: Gearbox upgrade

Hi Andy, I swapped a Rocket box for a T9 in my Berli.
      Flange bolts and crankshaft spigot are the same. The T9 GB mounting is in the same place.
      Check that your clutch plate has the same number and size of splines as the T9 otherwise you will need a new clutch plate.
      If you have a speedo cable that has a bit of length available then it will fit otherwise you will need a longer one. On the Berli, the cable is a very tight fit against the chassis cross member on some of the cars but will fit eventually. I had to "relieve" a bit of the driver's side floor.
      Swap your present speedo drive gear over to the new gearbox, it will fit, to keep your speedo reading the same.
      The reverse light switch is in a different position so a little bit of wiring up will be needed here. I cut a neat hole in the tunnel abeam where the switch will go. I always fit the switch after installing the gearbox as on a number of times I have caught, and knackered the switch when lifting out and replacing the box in the car.
      The rear of the T9 gearbox is fatter due to the fifth gear housing so the tunnel may need a little percussion attention.
      The prop shaft should fit as the GB flange will end up in the same place as the Rocket box.
      The gear lever is held attached in a different way so you may care to open up the hole in the tunnel to make it easier to tighten up the little bolts.
      Don't forget to fill with oil
      Good luck.
      Dane.
      Last edited by Dane_Rescueman; 05-06-15, 08:03 PM. Reason: Missed a point!
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
      X