No announcement yet.

Bad running , spitting and stopping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad running , spitting and stopping...

Back to a similar issue I had when I got the car, and after checking that I had a good spark and fuel was being pumped to the carbs I looked at the distributor again. The points gap has closed up so have reset and about to try again but while having a culpa thought I'd upload this video.

What do you guys think about the way the points arm doesn't align with the lobes on the disti shaft and the movement in the base plate, which obviously changes the points gap.

I was considering an exchange unit over the winter anyway as the black earth lead came off the base plate and has had to be soldered back on twice now.

David.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Bad running , spitting and stopping...

That's a lot of movement. Have a word with Distributor Doctor

Comment

Car all good again, it was the points gap, which wasn't a gap.

Thanks Steve, already emailed him
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Time to seriously consider some form of electronic ignition. But, if the distributor, perhaps the most neglected mechanism on a car, is already suspect, it's worth looking at that first.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
          Time to seriously consider some form of electronic ignition. But, if the distributor, perhaps the most neglected mechanism on a car, is already suspect, it's worth looking at that first.
          I had replaced the points with a Powerspark module but two of those have failed in 6 months so gone back to points. May consider one of those all in the disti electronic types if anyone can recommend them?

Comment

If the points keep closing it may be because the spark at the points is too much this could be the condenser or possibly you are using a 6v coil with a 12v feed. What happens is the points weld themself together and pull the gap shut.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
              If the points keep closing it may be because the spark at the points is too much this could be the condenser or possibly you are using a 6v coil with a 12v feed. What happens is the points weld themself together and pull the gap shut.
              Thanks for that tip, the current coil and condenser (and points) were bought as a set from Simon what's his name with the Powerspark module (which failed). This is the first time it's happened, maybe I just failed to tighten the screw enough!

Comment

Well, I have just refitted the rebuilt distributor (thanks to Steve for suggesting Martin at Distributor Doctor) and the car is running much better. As the oil filter was of unknown age and it's easier to change with the distributor out I diid that job first. I was surprised to see washers between the distributor clamping plate and it's mount (as per pic) so comments on that would be appreciated. I was tempted to leave them out but in the end left them there until someone tells me they should not be there

Pics and video here.

Attached Files

Comment

Possibly the washers were used to create the end float on the distributor drive. but that's not how it should be done the correct method is to use extra gaskets as shims under the pedestal to create an end float of 3 to 7th of an inch.

Comment

H
                    o
                    e
                    f
                    u
                    l
                    l
                    y

a

p
                    I
                    c
                    t
                    u
                    r
                    e
                    Attached Files

Comment

Being a Triumph engine I cannot contribute any further than Ben, but if the ignition system can be effectively eliminated, then it can only be a fuel issue.
                      Be aware that with modern Ethanol Fuels, original factory settings may be innapropriate for smoth running.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                        Being a Triumph engine I cannot contribute any further than Ben, but if the ignition system can be effectively eliminated, then it can only be a fuel issue.
                        Be aware that with modern Ethanol Fuels, original factory settings may be innapropriate for smoth running.
                        Hi Steve, The distributor rebuild appears to have cured the problem(s).

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                          Hopefully a picture
                          Thanks Ben. I will assume that is the case and that these washers are a best guess. Will make time over the winter to remove the distributor and pedestal and do the job properly.

Comment

Working...
                          X