Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wipers

Hi,

I have a problem with the wiper rubber grommets which let water leak through to the inside of the car.
    Its a very poor design/arrangement on the car. Is there an alternative?

Mike.

Re: wipers

I've suffered the same problem but only if the car is moving. I've replaced the seals/grommets a few times but the fix is only temporary. Maybe a solution is to follow Dave Kitsons idea of a 'u' channel section along the lower length of the screen diverting the water sideways to some extent.

Comment

I've used some red fibre, I think tap washers, on mine. They've been on for years with no leak.

Comment

Waterproof trousers

Comment

Hi all,

Its disappointing to find there is nothing on offer to rectify the problem. I can only assume that all Marlin Cars are running around with wet interiors.
          I shall try and come up with something myself to fix this annoying design fault.

Mike.

Comment

Hi All
            The grommets are nothing more than wiring grommets so are hardly bespoke items! Part of the problem is that they are at least as likely to turn with the wipers as stay put and keep the water out. The rainwater also tends to floods down from the wipers at the end of their travel right over the grommets. As mentioned above, I fixed some channels under the screen to deflect this away and I've not had a leak - not there anyway! I can't be sure now whether the channel was 'L' or 'U' section, but it only needs approx 3" above each spindle. I used some cheap black plastic stuff from the local DIY store, and it is quite unobtrusive. You get the picture! Hope that helps.
            Dave Kitson

Comment

This probably explains my leak when it rains heavy
              Will look there next
              Thanks guys
              Not had to resort to Waterproof trousers tho yet Dave
              Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your helpful reply, I will try out your suggestion.

Kind regards
                Mike.

Originally posted by dave.kitson View Post
                Hi All
                The grommets are nothing more than wiring grommets so are hardly bespoke items! Part of the problem is that they are at least as likely to turn with the wipers as stay put and keep the water out. The rainwater also tends to floods down from the wipers at the end of their travel right over the grommets. As mentioned above, I fixed some channels under the screen to deflect this away and I've not had a leak - not there anyway! I can't be sure now whether the channel was 'L' or 'U' section, but it only needs approx 3" above each spindle. I used some cheap black plastic stuff from the local DIY store, and it is quite unobtrusive. You get the picture! Hope that helps.
                Dave Kitson

Comment

Hi,

I should have pointed out that my wiper spindles are only just protruding through the bulk head which doesn't give me any gap to insert a channel.
                  I used the spacer tubes supplied and the sketch Marlin gave in their Manual.
                  Should I have cut the spacer tubes down and got the wiper spindles as close to the inside of the bulk head without fouling the linkage.
                  I must have at least 20mm of spindle below the surface of the bulk head.

Kind regards
                  Mike.

Comment

Working...
                  X