New Roadster owner - Aylesbury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Roadster owner - Aylesbury

Hi , I'm the new owner of a 1974 Marina based 1.8 Roadster, full of enthusiasm to bring it up to a good standard. My initial search for info on the model suggests it is not to be an easy task, I have purchased a 1.8 Marina manual which covers the mechanics but for anything directly relating to the Marlin model it's a no go. In a nutshell where do you go for spares and accessories, is there a club data bank for suppliers, despite the suggestion of special rates of insurance even that was not straightforward with Marlin excluded from a lot of the lists.
    Please anyone, feel free to inundate me with your knowledge, anything.

jwbee

Re: New Roadster owner - Aylesbury

Hi and welcome to the club.

I was in your situation a while back and it may be best to make a list of jobs and ask for help on specific issues as and when they arrive.

Most members will be quick to help with advice on how to do what and where to go to find it.

No matter what you want to do with your Roadster you will usually find someone that's tried it, done it, thinking about it or knows a man who has.

Good luck and photos are always appreciated.

Derek
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Ditto and welcome to the wonderful fun of driving the Marlin. Bought mine earlier this year and was in the dark myself. The people on here are very helpful and even told me which model I had bought., a Roadster S.W.B. and I love it. You have to keep looking out for parts,especially Marlin parts. The Marina engine and running parts are easier to find with a lot available on E-Bay at a reasonable cost. I even bought a spare B series engine for mine as a spare for £280 including the Pallet courier bringing it right into my garage for me. Always good to have a spare engine to drop in if you need it. As in the previous post advice and help on here is always available from other experienced owners. as for insurance I paid £126.20. for fully comprehensive policy with agreed value with Carole Nash,they seem quite reasonable to me after shopping around for insurance. Good Marlinin .

Comment

Hi and welcome.
        If you ever find yourself in the Chester area, feel free to get in touch and call in for a brew. Goes for anybody else as well!
        Overheating seems to be the biggest problem but if you look at my earlier posts, I've solved it quite cheaply with a blower fan from a boat chandler!
        Gareth.

Comment

Hi & welcome

I live just down the road in Prestwood and although I have a LWB Roadster ( 2.0 EFi Sierra based YKC version) so I won't be much use to you on the mechanics, you are more than welcome to come over and have a look at all the other stuff. If you post your email address you will probably find several local owners will get in touch. You will also get added to the list of local owners and every now and then we get together to kick tyres and enjoy a Sunday lunch (more frequent in the summer). I have sent you a PM with more detail.

Best of luck

Keith Howell

keithh44 ({ @ }) sky.com

(Don't forget the extra 'H' in the middle)

Comment

welcome all insurance companies who advertise on here recognise the marlin marque and most offer a discount if you say you are in the club. Obviously it depends on your personal circumstances but insurance can be below £100 for a limited mileage. Personally I have used Peter Best and 2Gether both of whom were very helpful and gave really good prices. Most of teh time if you need something a quick shout on here and you will find someone who has what you want in the back of their shed (or knows someone who has!)

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Keith

I'm keen to hear from anyone in the area who has found "services" amenable to kit cars, for example St/steel exhaust systems

John Butterworth - [email protected]

Comment

Club members can access the roadster build manual pdf section of the forum. Sadly there is no longer a roadster specific manufacturer for kit parts. Companies like Europa and Car Builder Solutions can provide most after market goodies including a selection of SS bends etc.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by jwbee View Post
                  Hi , I'm the new owner of a 1974 Marina based 1.8 Roadster, full of enthusiasm to bring it up to a good standard. My initial search for info on the model suggests it is not to be an easy task, I have purchased a 1.8 Marina manual which covers the mechanics but for anything directly relating to the Marlin model it's a no go. In a nutshell where do you go for spares and accessories, is there a club data bank for suppliers, despite the suggestion of special rates of insurance even that was not straightforward with Marlin excluded from a lot of the lists.
                  Please anyone, feel free to inundate me with your knowledge, anything.

jwbee

Is that a TC, Twin Carb, or a Single? Obviously a B Series, so engine wise they are very similar to an MGB.
                  If it was a 1974 Donor, it's going to be a Mk1 Marina, but most of the differences were minor bodywork.

Engine, gearbox, steering and suspension are generally available either here, or through the Morris Marina owners club or eBay. There are a few weak points, mostly the front suspension trunnions that need regular greasing and the tie bar bushes regularly fail, noises from the gearbox, mostly from reverse gear, but being Triumph based many of the gearbox internal components are readily available.
                  There are many critics of Marina handling, the Roadster has different weight distribution and weight, so many of the arguments do not follow through, however changing all the suspension rubber couplings to Superflex makes a big difference especially if you have equipment to check castor angles etc.
                  Continuing from the trunions, previously mentioned, it's worth a complete strip down and examination, good quality suspension uprights are becoming very rare, but if the lower threads are damaged, "Walford self cutting" trunnions can still be found.
                  With the cylinder head, if it is not already unleaded, my advice is to leave it unless it causes a problem, and then go for a large valved and gas flowed head following Peter Burgess's guidelines.
                  One of the roadsters biggest failings is overheating. Adding an extra core to the standard Viva radiator is the usual route to follow but Aluminium Honda Civic radiators have been tried with some success. Blocking all the gaps around the radiator can increase its flow rate, but only when the car is moving.
                  The rear axles are often sound. If the differentials get noisy the replace the complete diff centre with a 4 speed TR7 one. Not cheap, but rebuilding a differential is not a DIY project. Rear wheel bearings and oil seals do fail. Without a 20 ton press, 40 years of stiction is hard to break.

I hope this all helps, check my forum signature for more info.

Comment

Thanks for the insight into potential problems. It's a single carb'd engine, modified for unleaded, head, and it has a high flow rad. so no cooling problem. When I get to inspecting the bushes and should I need any, following your suggestion, where is the best source of supply for the upgrade. Gearbox is ok but gearstick has a mind of its own when selecting reverse, it swings out to the right instead of straight up.

Comment

Forum search finds this.

Superflex

Comment

Get yourself a decent note book a write in it all the part numbers, engine numbers, makes and serial numbers you can find so you have details with you (and not looking for them on dark rainy night). When you do replace something keep a note of make, part number and supplier etc - that way you build up your on manual. I have even taken a lot of ref pictures so when I am buying parts when I am at my office desk I can do a look a like check. This way if you keep the car a long time you wont need to remember- if you sell it on then you help the next owner

Comment

Working...
                        X