Roadster coolant and Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster coolant and Suspension

Hi all, while the car is off the road for the winter and the interior is out etc. I’ll also be doing all the usual coolant, oil, plugs filters etc. changes.

I drained the coolant out and it was rusty so what coolant would you guys recommend once it’s all washed through? something with corrosion inhibitors.

Second the front end is a little soft so was going to fit polyflex bushes and new springs/shocks, possibly spax or similar. It’s a mk2 Vitesse based roadster
    Thanks in advance

Andy Stewart

Re: Roadster coolant and Suspension

Hi Andy, give it a good old reverse flushing and then use rad flush and repeat the flushing. I would use the blue stuff in that engine but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to give you the best brand etc

Comment

Hi Andy. It is worth disconnecting the heater (if you have one) and reverse flushing that separately. I do that with my old classic and it is surprising how much sludge accumulates in there. Peter.

Comment

Comment

Hi Andy, Any blue type AF such as Bluecol will be OK but definitely worth flush through first take out the thermostat and reverse flush the rad and block.Note there is a drain plugin the block under the rear of the ex manifold have a poke with a length of wire.

Re your front suspension normally its a firm ride so not sure what springs you have but I would think its the shocks that are tired. I believe your car is a Mk1 all Triumph so should still have the front anti roll bar which could be upgraded
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Make sure you premix it with water before filling and do it quite accuratley as to much can lead to overheating.. !!

Comment

Originally posted by dbazdavies View Post
              Make sure you premix it with water before filling and do it quite accuratley as to much can lead to overheating.. !!
              What is the definition of too much? Bluecol themselves say NOTE: To obtain optimum protection a 50:50 antifreeze and water mixture is recommended.

Antifreeze does protect against very cold weather but it also raises the boiling point of the water but this should be limited by the pressure cap. There is a mention in a early Pitstop where, I think by Paul Moorehouse, suggesting that 100% antifreeze was possible, a hangover from WW2 Spitfire pilots.

Comment

From experience with classic car engines it was found that too much anti-freeze caused the engines to overheat in the summer hot weather 30% was what we ended up using..

The manufacturer's recommendation:

The standard recommendation is to use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. This represents a compromise between cooling efficiency and the ability to prevent the mix from freezing during cold weather. After all, the initial purpose of antifreeze is to prevent freezing.

But a 50/50 mix does not give the best cooling. For improved cooling in hot weather, we should use less antifreeze and more water, perhaps going to a 25/75 or a 20/80 mix ratio.

Everyone knows antifreeze prevents corrosion, and corrosion is bad. True enough. But, even a 10/90 ratio of antifreeze to water will serve the puproses of inhibiting corrosion, at least according to one source of information.

Comment

I have been reading this article here or there, their conclusion, the Jury is still out.

Comment

Working...
                  X