replace my windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replace my windshield

hellos I have to replace my windshieldwe begin with what to disassemble Primier to access the windshieldThank you

Re: replace my windshield

Removing the windscreen from a roadster.(this is probably the worst job to do on a roadster)

1. Remove the bonnet by releasing the hinge.
    2. Remove the wiper arms and wheel box nut from the arm drive.
    3. Remove the 5 or 6 m6 bolts that hold the lower screen clamp.
    4. Then carefully release the lower screen clamp that will be bonded to the screen.
    5. Leaving the wheel boxes in position for the moment.
    6. You now need to release the sealer/bonding around the glass so to slide the screen down enough to disengage it from the mounting groove.
    7. It may be necessary to remove the wheel boxes if there is not enough space to slide the screen down before lifting it out.
    8. To help release the sealer, use a sharp blade to go round both sides of the glass in the groove and behind the dash top panel.
    9. Some people have also used a product that dissolves/releases the silicone sealer.

Best of luck!!Let me know when you want to refit the screen as there are a couple of tips to make the job a bit easier.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Disconnect battery, remove bonnet, wiper arms and securing nuts for the wheelboxes/wiper drive spindles. Dashboard has to come out then the lower fibreglass windscreen /scuttle moulding. This enables the windscreen to be lowered out of its channel once you've removed any sealant.
      Probably one of the worst jobs to do on a Roadster especially if the instrument wiring isn't connected by multiplugs. If not now is the time to do it
      It's straightforward , just time consuming. Good luck.

Comment

Apologies ,I see Ben has already got it covered!!!!!!

Comment

I realised after my posting that I had incorrectly stated that dash had to be removed.
          At the time that I was required to replace the windscreen I chose to also incorporate demist vents hence my continued dismantling process. Apologies for the confusion!

Comment

Tempted to add the word "cry" after each step Ben!

Comment

Hence the caution at the top. But trust me it can be done without resorting to the use of violence.

Comment

................and from experience it's far better to use patience than the alternative of having to find/remove/clear up the millions of tiny glass
                shards that result from violent method

Comment

thank you for everything
                  the windshield is it rectangular?

Comment

No its the same shape as you can see with about 10mm set inside the frame

Comment

I understood that there were at least three different shaped Roadster templates, however minor.

Possibly worth making your own template from MDF. But then where to get one cut from sheet laminate in France.

Comment

Didn't people get properly etched screens cut from ones from a Landrover Defender flat screen?

Comment

Don't forget that if it is a YKC Roadster, the windscreen surround can be unbolted

Comment

Working...
                          X