Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Roadster Cloth Cover Material

Hi Guys & Gals,

Just joined the forum recently. My Dad built a LWB Roadster about 14 yrs ago with a Fiat Argenta TC 2.0 engine and Marina Chassis & suspension. He drove it for a few years before letting it reside under his car port for the better part of the last 8 years in South Wales. I live in Perthshire & he has recently moved up to the same town here and the car was a topic of discussion for many months. I suggested we get it up here, fix it up and run it for a year up here before maybe then selling it. So it is now sitting in a warm dry garage here after an arduous task of 450 miles relocation on a trailer in horrendous weather.

There are many issues to deal with, the primary one being the brakes... I spent a few days on it down in Wales in November and managed to get it running but I think it misfires, maybe new HT leads will fix that or a spark plug check over. Decided to replace the brake fluid as it had been sat idle for so long & as soon as I opened a bleed nipple there was no pedal pressure at all and I suspect I’ll need to remove the (Marina) master cylinder, turn it over so I can read the stamped code number and then get a set of new seals for it.

The front suspension tie rod bushes were shot so have bought supaflex ones for it but they were a real pita to fit as the rod was so tight, think I probably bought the wrong ones or perhaps there are 2 different types to fit front and back of the forward bush point (?) but that can wait for now.

The starter motor is a major problem; one in 20-30 turns of the ignition key it will actually turn over and then start. Most of the time it’s just a ‘click sound’; figure I need to remove it and clean up the bendix gear & replace its grease/lubricant and or replace the solenoid, the wiring looks good.

However, I’ll start with an easy problem first as all the above can wait (until I have fixed my Berlingo with its troublesome rear axle) then in a few weeks I’ll begin the Roadster restoration… The ‘easy problem’ is the cloth hood/cover – unfortunately in transit from Wales to Scotland we have made a hole in it & I need to to ask your advice on where to source a small patch of this type of material? It's black cloth on the outer side & has a light tan colour on the inside. I think I probably only need an inch square patch..

Looking forward to lots of fun later this year, maybe even do the Applecross Bealach hill climb

Tony
    Attached Files

Re: Marlin Roadster Cloth Cover Material

Hi Tony , I assume you mean Citroen Berlingo . We have ne that developed negative camber on the back. Needle rollers on the swing arms. A recon back axle was the most cost effective solution. Bu I got local garage to do it. I don't do modern. Good luck with the marlin. Dave

Comment

Ref the hood, sounds like mohair especially if the beige inner has a feint check pattern. check out ebay for mohair hood repair and you can get kits with glue and a patch included.

Probably the solenoid, if it were the bendix gear you would hear the motor spinning but not engaging, can you put a jump lead straight on to the rear of the starter?

Good luck.

Comment

Yes Dave - the infamous Berlingo rear axle design fault... I'm beginning to pull it off tomorrow & drive it up to a company near Inverness which reconditions them with a then lifetime guarantee so I'll give them my old one & they give me a 'new' one and I drive back several hundred £££s the lighter...

Ref the Hood; had a look on Ebay & found this kit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOFT-TOP-C...oAAOSwNyFWcZTL
        That might do it..

When I have some time, I'll get underneath and get a good look again at the starter motor, probably remove it & then figure out what's wrong with it on the bench. Might have to hunt around for a new solenoid for a 30yr old Argenta engine...

Comment

Looks like Livingstone Autoparts in West Lothian has a couple of starters for sale if that's of any use to you.

Comment

Re the starter I would have clean up of all the connections and earths first on the basis cheapest first.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

As mentioned above it may be just the solenoid. To check this I jam a large old screwdriver across the two large screw terminals. It eliminates the starter switch and the solenoid from the equation. Needless to say make sure the car is out of gear first! If you only want to test the motor spins there is no need to switch on the ignition either.

Comment

The next check is to put the screwdriver between the small spade connector and live solenoid terminal . The starter should work One last job, clean up screwdriver!

Comment

Thanks for the info thus far - I'll do all of the above but the Marlin is currently outside the garage covered in (count them) 4 tarpaulins and covers with the current deluge, meanwhile the Berlingo is in the garage in bits.. When this situation is reversed I'll get on with the starter motor attention.. probably another week or two..

Comment

I meant put the screwdriver between both the large screwed terminals. That way you eliminate all the other circuits. Be very positive when jamming it into contact to avoid lots of sparks!

Comment

elment , Maybe what v8pete and I were both suggesting may not be such a good idea unless done with confidence as if not done firmly lots of scary sparks can ensue.

Comment

Working...
                      X