whilst I'm delerious...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whilst I'm delerious...

Whilst I'm holed up in hospital with a twisted bowel, in excrutiating pain and drugged up to the eyeballs, awaiting an op, my mind keeps wandering to the question, has anyone ever fitted a front wheel drive engine to a Roadster? I don't recall ever seeing any mention of this before.
    I may have just had a genious moment, or as I suspect, the drugs have befuddled my mind and there's nowt down for me...debate.
    Gareth

Re: whilst I'm delerious...

Presumably you actually mean Front wheel drive as opposed to rear wheel drive.
    Zetec engines were designed for front wheel drive cars, but Ford in their infinite wisdom carried on using the same basic bell house and gearbox mounting bolt pattern so it became eminently suitable for adapting to a rear wheel drive solution.
    But I think the real answer is one of space, with an ever narrowing engine bay there would be some significant body design limitations to fitting a transverse engine for front wheel drive.
    Once again, the caveat applies, those with the skill and determination and a bottomless wallet could find a way, much as the MX5 conversion in progress. But that has meant some significant chassis and bodywork changes.

Comment

How about an old Skoda 130 engine and box ? right shape - might have trouble cornering though.

Comment

This is a subject best dealt with under the influence of drugs or drink. Of course it is doable, with money and drugs. wasn't the rear engine Skoda an in line engine? If the gearbox was in front of the engine it is even more doable. Just stretch the chassis . I'm going for a lie down. Get well soon please.
        Dave

Comment

Hi Gareth, Keep taking the drugs, more so if they are free!! , and I am sure we all wish you a speedy recovery. All the best Danny.

Comment

I get a bit like you but without the drugs, I was thinking along the lines of a Ford Sierra Cosworth with 4 wheel drive, then once I had woke up I thought Fiat Panda 4 wheel drive!
            Get well soon Gareth and never stop dreaming
            Phil

Comment

Have seen a Lotus 7 kit car fitted with Sierra Cosworth Engine-Box and 4 wheel drive system --- smoked the wheels every time you took off !!!

Comment

Lets go from silly to practical, Put it on a Land rover chassis. It has been done with an MGB, it did look a bit strange though. Or for a truly economical car with wild handling, a 2CV. I'm going to lie down again! Is this helping Gareth?
                Dave.

Comment

Cheers for the nice thoughts everyone.
                  Actually I've discovered a way to beat the nhs queues in A and E.
                  Sit in the waiting room, faint, fall off the chair and vomit everywhere.
                  The nurse on duty said it was the best one yet...

Comment

No Dave, it's not. It hurts when I laugh!

Comment

Yup, I remember when I had 3 broken ribs and people thought it was great fun to tell me funny jokes to watch me laughing and crying with pain at the same time B......s. Good luck
                      Dave.

Comment

I've seen a TR7 shell on a cut and shut Range Rover chassis. It was called a Strange Rover

Comment

how about one of these...a gordini (this ones in a renault 12)
                          bet the original car is worth way more than a marlin nowadays
                          std_1973_renault_12_gordini-4.jpg

Comment

Good news, I'm getting out of hospital today.
                            Bad news, can't drive for six weeks!

Comment

Lots of time to polish. I hope you are feeling a bit better now they don't keep you in hospital long now.

Comment

Working...
                              X