Marina based front suspension work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina based front suspension work...

Well, time has passed and I have this week of opportunity to get some work done. I have just bought some new UNF 5/16" bolts and nyloc nuts for the front tie rods. While at it I spied that the top balljoints on the swivel pins have splits in the rubber caps:

I figure that'd fail an MOT so can I ask you folks where I might be able to source such a part? I have the Haynes book of lies for the Marina & it shows a diagram of the whole assembly - and implies that the 'dust cover' is a separate part.. but I would have thought the balljoints would be sold as a whole component?

I've also removed & tested the starter motor and its solenoid is duff so have ordered a new starter. Next up is the brakes tomorrow..

Re: Marina based front suspension work...

Search "ball joint rubber gaitors" on eBay, loads so there must be something that suits.

Comment

Parts lists do not include this dust cap as a separate part. They only list a complete repair kit, including the swivel pin and spring etc. BHM7066, but as Hugh suggests eBay would be your best start, preferably looking at Classic Mini which is remarkably similar. BTA377, if its available might be your part.
      Last edited by stevejgreen; 18-03-16, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Have a look at www. balljointboots.co.uk Appears to be promising.

Comment

have you tried supergluing it - works a treat on rubber

Comment

Here it is and from Rimmers
            Order your Cover-dust-knuckle joint front - BTA377 - MG Rover ⛽ Low prices and fast, worldwide delivery ✈ British car experts ♚ Call ☎ 01522 568000 or ☎ 1-855-746-2767

Adrian

Comment

Wow! Thanks guys! The Marina handbook pg 157 shows an "exploded" diagram of the suspension parts and 'part 9' is the dust cover. Thanks Adrian - that is the exact replacement part, I'll order 2 today!

Comment

Now that's what I like about the forum!

Comment

Ordered the rubber dust caps from Rimmer Bros yesterday, delivered today! Also now have the UNF bolts & Nuts so they'll go on tomorrow. Brakes have to wait a bit. Starter motor expected Tuesday...

Comment

Can anyone suggest a fix to this problem... - The front suspension tie rods travel forwards from the bottom assembly on the swivel pin to the front forward-most chassis framework. This is the front end:

The car was standing for 8yrs, the original fitted bushes at this front end were rotten so I bought some new PU ones from these folks:
                    http://www.superflex.co.uk/proddetai...od=SF234-0669K However when they arrived, I realized this was only half of the solution as there was a second bush that was needed too and the new PU bushes that arrived were only suitable for the front side and not immediately behind the mounting hole at the front end. I dug around and found a pair of old, worn rubber ones which are perfect, if a little thin and I needed to pack them with washers to get the whole tie rod front end nice and tight. I would however like to know whether there is a PU version of these old rubber bushes that look like this:

They have a central flange that nicely sits in the tapered hole in the chassis for the tie rod - but its a little ungainly having to pack them so much with washers to fit... Any suggestions where I can source something like this? Or what do you folks use in this situation?

ta very much

The replacement 1983 Fiat Argenta starter motor arrived yesterday but it doesn't fit and is now going to be returned. I may have found another one with these guys: http://www.livingstonautoparts.co.uk...983/Parts.aspx - might go and see them with the old one in hand to check all is right... The old one has a duff solenoid. If I can't get the right one I'm wondering whether an auto electrician type business might be able to overhaul the solenoid - which is detachable from the motor assembly...

Comment

Try early Land Rover rear shock absorber bottom bushes, the ones held in place by large cup washers, I seem to remember using these before changing the Marina set up to wishbone.

Just had a quick look at Britpart RNF100090L
                      Last edited by philcoyle; 27-03-16, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Completely confused in Spain.
                        The tie rods use the same bush either side, so you need four bushes in four bushes in total

Comment

That's what happens when you are in a bar, you do things twice.

Comment

Have a look back on the Supaflex website. Click on Home / Products / Universal. Then select the Universal shock absorber /ARB link pin
                            (Link). There are several that look like yours? Failing that give them a call as I have always found them knowledgeable and helpful. Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                              Completely confused in Spain.
                              The tie rods use the same bush either side, so you need four bushes in four bushes in total
                              The same bush as in the ones I already bought won't fit; unless by fitting them the tie rod will push back the swivel pin assembly an inch and that doesn't sound right...?

Comment

Working...
                              X