Ready for spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for spring

Here we are, coming back after a complete mechanical review, electrical restoration and grill renewal.

IMG-20160321-WA0006.jpg

Re: Ready for spring

Originally posted by spalama View Post
    Here we are, coming back after a complete mechanical review, electrical restoration and grill renewal.
    That looks good.

Comment

Yes and the engine sounds good too.

I've also made some upgrades like new tyres (Continental), new steering wheel (Mountney Riveted dark wood), new gear knob (jaguar xk8 dark wood), new leather gear and handbrake gaiter, new alu mats and new chrome rearview mirror, and new union jack memory foam pillow for seats.

I'm going to post some photos soon.

Now I'm looking for a couple of chrome side mirror longbase with distance between hole 10,5 cm.

Do you know where I can find it?

I've look into ebay but there's only one model and they are round, they looks good for american car but not for my Marlin.

Comment

car builder solutions have loads of mirrors like this one... try s-v-c they are also good.

Comment

Great photo - one for next years calendar maybe

Comment

Thanks Cameron, I will see

Comment

WP_20160402_12_47_21_Pro_LI.jpg

Comment

WP_20160402_12_47_48_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160402_12_47_38_Pro_LI.jpg

Comment

WP_20160402_12_46_50_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160402_12_47_05_Pro_LI.jpg

Comment

Some shots from Appia Antica the street of Ancient Rome. I hope you enjoy.

Comment

Hi, Lovely to see a Marlin in such a nice setting.

The mirrors you need are the ones fitted to Morgan 4 wheelers , they have extending stalks and come in flat glass for the driver side and convex for the passenger side. Fitted to the doors near the top half way down the door length they will give you a decent view.

They are available from; www.heartofenglandmorgans.co.uk and www.morgan-motor.co.uk at about £50.00 inc VAT

I tried several others but these are the only ones to get high enough and close enough to your eyes to give you a chance to see the hot hatches trying to pass !

You'll need to epoxy some good exterior ply to the inside of the door to give a firm mounting. Hope that helps.

Ciao.

Brian West.

Comment

Thank you Brian for the suggestion.

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Rome, sunny and 24°c, and we went in downtown, Caracalla, Coliseum, Forum and other places.

We had no possibilities to take shots of the car in these places but a lot of tourists did it and was a big success for my Marlin.

Some things to say: the pavè surface is not the best for Marlin, the car prefers asphalt a lot, and my back too.

Driving in the city means a lot of start and stop and the water temperature rised up in a while very close to the red zone, but I think it's normal in fact, moved out from downtown, in the countryside without traffic, the temperature decreased to normal value rapidly.

When the water temperature is high there is also a big warm coming form the engine in the cockpit.

Another problem is the gasoline smell that is very strong when the tank is full and less strong when the tank is down the half.

We had a look at the tank when the car was on the bridge at mechanic and there was no leak from tank.

Probably is too old and I need to change the tank and all the related pipes and equipment in the next future.

Comment

Overheating is not unusual in a Marlin Roadster. Can I see a fan in front of your radiator?. Is it's thermostat set OK?.
                          The radiator commonly used in a Marlin Roadster is from a 1057cc or 1300cc engine. Certainly not big enough for an 1800 engine and not good for the poor air circulation in the confined engine bay.
                          I wrote a long article on overheating here or there, but ultimately having the radiator rebuilt, with more water and cooling capacity, by adding an extra row, is the first step, then make sure that as much air as possible gets through the radiator, and not over or under it.

Fuel smells are not unusual either. You are sitting much closer to the tank than in a modern car. Check that the seal on the filler cap is good and that the tank vent/breather pipe is routed to minimise flow of fuel from the tank, and that it exits in the open air.

Comment

I have the same issue with the fuel smell. In my case I'm sure that it's the fact that the breater is open so when the fuel moves in the tanks some vapour is expelled through the breather and gets sucked back in under that clam shell (body) at the back of the car. Since I have a filler cap that will release excess pressure in the tank I'm looking at re-sealing the breather pipe with a one way valve but I need to adapt the filler pipe first or I'll be back to not being able to fully fill the tank again...
                            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Thank you Steve

I've read your articles, and it's very interesting.

That's my radiator

radiator.jpg

The previous owner has mounted an additional switch to overboost the speed of the vent.

Comment

Working...
                              X