Newbie in need of help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbie in need of help!!!

OK so its not an Ital donor, it's a 1.8 Marina. The brake parts, cylinders springs, clips etc, you need are for an auto-adjusting brakes. See the parts list. The rubber boot in the top picture will need replacing, behind that should be a clip that retains the slave cylinder.
    I would advocate going for new parts and not second hand.

Drums are common across the Marina car range, not all the commercials. The single drum retaining screw is common to many cars.

Comment

Hiya

Well here's a start, the spring set eBay item number 351617635121

Adrian

Comment

So you're the buyer of Q207. http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...ar-amp-Classic

Comment

The plot thickens, both adverts say that brake cylinders come with the car. I wonder if any of the other needed parts were also included.

It could be worth talking to the vendor, to see what parts he may have.

I would not necessarily skimp on second hand brake shoes or cylinders. They need to work properly and reliably.

Comment

Hi, firstly thanks Adrian spring kit ordered, and Steve absolutely spot on, I found two new rear brake cylinders and shoes buried under the hood the hood polls and some carpet pieces that were dumped into the passenger footwell so thanks I had no idea they were there. I've included a picture of the cylinder that were in the car.
            Rear hubs all cleaned up and ready to go (pictures attached), all Ineed now is the clips that holds the cylinder to the backplate the rubber boots that protects them, set of drums and handbrake cable (should be able to get them from eBay).

One thing I found odd was, the main brake pipe comes up through the middle of the car to the off side, it looks as though one pipe goes into the cylinder and then back out where the bleed nipple normally would be and across the axle to the near side cylinder. Is this correct ?

Next in the plan is;
            1. A set of HT leads, points, plugs and distributor cap and get the engine running better.
            2. Electric radiator fan, if anyone has done this in the past any info would great help
            3. Change the dynamo to alternator, again if anyone has done this before or knows where I can get a retro fit including wiring diagram would be a great help

One last thing, I have included a couple of pictures of a bar that comes off the steering to just under the front bumper. Should there be a rubber bush in there, is yes can anyone tell me what I need

Thanks in advance for your help and patience, I can build landrovers from the ground up, this is my first attempt with anything different.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Davy66 (is it Dave?)

Glad you got the car, it's been a 30 year favourite of mine, you'll see from the thread linked above.

If it helps I bought my Marlin Roadster last year and managed to find all the bits to rebuild the rear brakes, so you should be OK there.

As for the brake pipe, that routing is correct. In the _bottom_ of the offside wheel cylinder, out the top (so you can bleed air out easily) then across the axle to the other cylinder then the bleed nipple. Mine was incorrectly plumbed with main line going into the top! Corrrected now.

Review my posts here, lots of photos from my rear brake rebuild last year, as well as tips from others.

Yes that tie rod should be bused. Search the forums, there are some recommendations for bushes all round the car.

David.
              - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
              - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
              - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
              - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
              - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Davy66, you need to ask stevejgreen for access to his keep and share site which contains a load of easily accessible and really useful information. Together with this forum you should be able to find anything you need. Plus all the members of this site, of course.

Comment

OK now we have some better info and progress can be made.
                  You still need to look at the parts lists a link to which I have already postd. You might turn up some parts that you don't recognise and the pictures in the parts list will help so much with identifying them and what you are missing.

The Slave cylinders you have are ideally for a Marina Van or a Marina with a heavy duty pack, i.e. greater load carrying capacity, I would avoid them and use a GWC1110. The Parts list will help.

The brake pipe routing you describe is correct.

Finally a forum search for Superflex will identify the front suspension Tie Rod Bushes, I have already posted a complete listing of every bush needed.

Comment

Guy's thanks very much for the help, Steve I have tried to access keep & share it's asking for permissions, can you allow permission for davy66 and again thanks

Comment

The wheel cylinders you have are for manually adjusted type brake.What you need are like these but you also need the auto adjuster
                      RH =27H 8046 and LH=27H 8045

<//www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOLOMITE-SPRINT-PAIR-OF-REAR-WHEEL-CYLINDERS-/351259012678?hash=item51c8ab2e46:m:me-YathCp2dwKJHspM7cbpw>
                      Last edited by b_caswell; 28-05-16, 10:18 PM.
                      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                        The wheel cylinders you have are for manually adjusted type brake.What you need are like these but you also need the auto adjuster
                        RH =27H 8046 and LH=27H 8045

<//www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOLOMITE-SPRINT-PAIR-OF-REAR-WHEEL-CYLINDERS-/351259012678?hash=item51c8ab2e46:m:me-YathCp2dwKJHspM7cbpw>
                        Oops, Ben you are right those are manual adjuster cylinders but still from a Heavy Duty pack. What he ideally needs is a pair of GWC1121.

Davy now has access to my parts lists for both the Mk1 and Mk2 Marinas, since we cannot be certain of the age of the donor but I suspect a Mk1 if it indeed has a Dynamo.
                        It would have been quicker and easier if he had read and followed my instructions. He can also read the relevant section of the Workshop Manual and wiring diagrams for both and so much more.

There are a myriad of small parts he will need, unless they came with the car.
                        The pin, it's spring and retaining washer, for the Shoe steady, the two retaining clips for the slave cylinder, the small H plate and its retaining spring, that fits inside the brake shoe, the drum retaining screw, as well as the parts you have identified.

It would be far easier for him to look at what he has, and decide what he needs, than for us to second guess, he may not even recognise a part when he sees it.

Comment

Steve, what is 'the small H plate and its retaining spring' for, I noticed mine does not have those fitted!
                          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                            Steve, what is 'the small H plate and its retaining spring' for, I noticed mine does not have those fitted!
                            Not entirely sure, but it fits in the brake shoe, through the same hole as the cranked handbrake lever.
                            I suppose it's a pressure or spreader plate to reduce point pressure?

It's shown on the parts list Items 8 and 9 here or there, and in the workshop manual section 70.40.10 here or there

Comment

Not all systems use the H plate don't ask which ones but if you look at the brake shoe where the lever locates into the shoe if the hole has a tapered side then that is the type of shoe that uses the H plate then once again it seems some shoes also use the little retaining spring and others don't.
                              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks, the brakes work fine and it's been through two MOT's... so.

Comment

Working...
                                X