Newbie "still" in need of help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie "still" in need of help!!!

Hi, I posted a few weeks ago after purchasing a MK1 marina 1.8 based roadster. I have been trying to put the rear brakes back together with no luck. I have purchased all new parts, cylinders, drums, shoes, spring kit etc, nothing seems to fit. When I fitted the cylinder and shoes nothing lines up, the shoes seem to be to big so I tried another manufacturer of the shoes just incase there were some differences to no avail. Now I am well and truly stuck, I'm wondering if the rear axle has been changed at some point.
    I have posted a couple of pictures of the axle, rear brake back plate and the original handbrake levers to see if they are recognisable to any of you guys.
    Any help would be gratefully received
    Attached Files

Re: Newbie "still" in need of help!!!

You probably have been supplied with brake shoes for a manual adjuster type car, rear brakes the shoes on an auto adjuster car which yours is are shorter.

The handbrake levers look like they are the auto adj type the sprung arm riveted to the lever is the auto adj actuator. That engages with the ratchet wheel that fits into the wheel cylinder.

Where abouts in the country are you?
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I'm in Hamilton Scotland 10 miles south of Glasgow, thanks mate that probably explains what's went wrong

Comment

Hi Ben, thanks for the info mate that is probably where I've gone wrong. I'm in Hamilton Scotland 10miles south of Glasgow. Do you have any idea what the part number is, or where I could buy them. I've searched through the forum posts and Web sites and can't find them only the mannual adjustable type.

Comment

That is a Marina Axle. They are auto adjuster back plates. The slave cylinders you posted pictures of earlier were for a manual adjuster. We have no idea whether the brake shoes you have are manual or auto adjuster, no pictures yet.
          The two handbrake lever adjusters should be the same, either side, what I see in your picture looks like different types, there should be an extension that reaches around the slave cylinder to the auto adjuster ratchet, no pictures yet.

If you can give us pictures of the shoes and handbrake levers then it should help

Pictures in the parts manuals and workshop manuals you have access to show the differences. Alternatively look at the pars lists on Rimmer Brothers for the Dolomite axle. Not the Dolomite Sprint axle.

Comment

Hi I have added pictures of the brake cylinder I bought and the shoes. The handbrake adjuster arms are exactly the same. I've tried a ouple of different places but no one seems to be able to go back far enough to trace the shoes from the part number GBS536, any idea who can supply these self/auto adjustable shoes
            Attached Files

Comment

OK, even more information needed. What are your front brakes?
              GBS536 are nominally front brake shoes for early Marinas.

Its time to start again from scratch, clearly the previous owner had a pile of parts and you are now trying to fit them where they don't belong!
              Last edited by stevejgreen; 08-06-16, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Going on original eBay photos (which have now been deleted) it has discs on the front, Steve.

Comment

On www.brake international.co.uk it shows three types of shoe for the 1.8 marina plus other models, and shows illustrations of each type.
                  Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jon_wilkinson View Post
                    Going on original eBay photos (which have now been deleted) it has discs on the front, Steve.
                    The donor was in all probability a Mk1 Marina with a dynamo. that suggest drum brakes on the front, but parts are easily upgraded to disc, who knows what has been modified.

So the vendor had a pile of innaropriate parts, that Davey was unaware of, that he bundled in with with the car until I read the sales advert, and they suddenly turned up!

To quote Donald Rumspheld, rather badly, there are known knowns, and known unknowns, and unknown unknowns.

Time to start again from scratch, otherwise we will end up down deep dark alleys that are irrelevant.

Stick with what we know. The axle is Marina. The back plates are auto adjustable, the other bits Davy has are pretty much just a confusion as none of them seem appropriate except maybe the drums, but we have not seen them in pictures and a tape measure yet.

Davy has access to parts lists, workshop manuals and Triumph parts suppliers, plenty of pictures there to help him solve the problem.
                    Last edited by stevejgreen; 08-06-16, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Hi, yes it's discs on the front (pictures below) the parts number I mentioned earlier in this post (GBS536) came from a supposed expert from Doncaster I had called this morning. Hopefully it's as simple as having the wrong shoes and I source the correct shoes.

I've been trawling through the posts and the internet looking for a picture of the brakes, if anyone has a picure of the rear set up can you please post it for me for reference.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Davy,
                        I am in Carluke so only about 10 miles from you. I go on holiday on Friday but happy help you out when I get back if you are still struggling.
                        My Marlin is Ital based but in the middle of a re-build at the moment however happy to strip the brakes down and you can nip over with your parts to compare them to what's on mine. Might not be the same but similar so we should be able to sort things out. Will send you my details on PM
                        Regards
                        Graham

Comment

Nice one Graham - love this club and all the happy people you meet !!

Davy do you have a Marina workshop manual --- if not on Ebay for a couple of £'s !!!

Comment

Hi Graham, I've responded to your PM thanks mate any help is appreciated. Is there any other local Marlin owners ?

Comment

Hi Davy, I'm in Old Kilpatrick at the Erskine Bridge, about 25 miles. You must have passed pretty close when you brought your car from Rosneath

I also have auto adjust rear brakes on my Roadster. The guys on here helped me sort them out. If you need any photos or want to have a look at the set up feel free to give me shout.

Derek
                              Last edited by Blue Marlin; 08-06-16, 09:38 PM.
                              Stumbling around in the dark
                              Marina based SWB roadster
                              Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Working...
                              X