X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help: something rolls in my Marlin

Hi everybody

I've a little problem......

Yesterday while I'm driving, I'hitted an asphalt hole with the rear axle and I've heard immediatley a noise coming from the back of the car, like something (a bolt?) that was dropped down on the floor of the car (??).

I stopped immediately the car to understand what was happened.

At the beginning I tought was the bolt of the spare wheel but it was ok.

I did not found anything in the car floor so I restarted the car to drive and check if all was ok

The car was ok, but I've heard something that was rolling in the back of the car, from left to right or from right to left, at any turn.

Do you have any ideas to help me on this research???

Re: Need help: something rolls in my Marlin

If it's a roadster many people fitted a box to one side of the fuel tank to hold tools, could it be something in there??
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

It's a Roadster, in Rome, Italy. Marina based.
      Always difficult to analyse a sound with words. But it does suggest something in the boot space, somewhere around the tank.
      I can't think of anything structural or anything around the axle that would cause a rolling sound. Could it be one of the top shock absorber mounting bolts?
      The worst that can happen is that a wheel bearing has failed. Jack the back of the car up and push and pull each wheel to see if there is any movement.

Comment

Hi

no I don't think is a wheel bearing, most probably is the top shock absorber bolt that now is rolling, but where???

Comment

If it's a steel part (magnetic) sometimes probing the area, where you can't see, with a magnet, will pick up a loose component that you can't get your fingers on.

Comment

There's nowhere underneath for something to roll around on.
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Something loose in the tank? Fuel gauge still working?

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                If it's a roadster many people fitted a box to one side of the fuel tank to hold tools, could it be something in there??
                I have twin SU fuel pumps in a box there, a fuel pipe clip was rattling against the box, very annoying right behind me. Sort now.

Now to help... I found several bolts, nuts, clips etc wedged between the back of my tank and the clam shell. You could have some junk that was stuck and is now loose rolling across the back lip of the tank on the cross ways tank support.
                - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi to everybody and thanks.

All was solved, was a spare bolt came out fron the set of keys stored in the back of the car.

In the meanwhile I've solved also the problem of the gasoline smell connecting another pipe to the one that came out from the tank that was positioned exactly in the back of the driver seat.

I've found a little space in the back of the car to put outside the new pipe.

Comment

Sounds good, two problems solved.

Comment

Working...
                    X