Strange Speedo problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Speedo problem...

I need to get a better picture, but here's a bad shot of it... The speedometer works but the odometer & trip mileage counter doesn't ?? There is only one speedo cable fitted and the speedo unit was fitted new in 2002, it used to work fine. The car has realistically only done 575 - 600 miles (it sat for 8 years). I'm trying to get the MOT this week but afterwards I'd like to fix this issue. I'll most likely remove it & open it up to see whether something's broken or rusted. If no fix then I'll be on the hunt for a replacement.

Has anyone come across such a case before?

Re: Strange Speedo problem...

One of the gears that drives the odo/trip has probably sized or broken. There are companies who can repair these speedos. I used speedy cables to fix my vdo guage.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Have you had a look here or there an article on Smiths Speedo repair

Comment

Thanks for the replies.. my attention has been swayed by the brake lights not working just before I was going to book the mot... bulbs good, all fuses good, pedal switch good... I spent many hours rewiring the wipers and washers this last week; this brake problem looks like more of the same It doesn't help that there is no wiring diagram from YKC & the wire colours at one part of a circuit are different to another part... I see a long day stretching out in front of me today!

Comment

Chances are you have the premier wiring systems loom - I am hunting out the schematic for it later today and if I find it I will post it on here for you

Comment

if bullet joints on the loom, it may be them - had probs on my ykc finished berly, cleaned em up and used a little coppered grease, no probs to date(about 10 months)

Comment

Resolved the brake lights - it was the pedal switch; internal component was corroded and out of sequence with the inside spring, removed, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and refitted, sounds easy but I did most of it on my head, feet in the air up over the seat. Everything works. Mot booked for tomorrow...

Comment

bon chance!!

Comment

Passed mot with ease However this 35 mile round trip has exposed a few other issues, rear shoes sound like they're intermittently binding with the drums & the carb is maybe running a bit too lean... stuff to do tomorrow...

Comment

:0) Happy days :0)
                    Stumbling around in the dark
                    Marina based SWB roadster
                    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

As for the Brake Light Switch

Originally posted by element View Post
                      Resolved the brake lights - it was the pedal switch; internal component was corroded and out of sequence with the inside spring, removed, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and refitted, sounds easy but I did most of it on my head, feet in the air up over the seat. Everything works. Mot booked for tomorrow...
                      I was out for a spin the other day and the bloke behind me at a set of lights pipped his horn and shouted to me saying your brake lights don't work.Cheers mate I replied,then thinking oh bugger,wonder what that is ??.Got home and as you say head first into the cockpit and at 68 can only manage to get half way in !! lol..after checking the 3 fuses under there and looking for loose wires which thankfully I did not find any and the fuses o-k I'm thinking where the hell is the brake light switch ??.So went under the bonnet looking for one and no luck .Back into the cockpit and spotted the switch with a powerful torch shining into the abyss where yer feet go.There it was at the back of the top of brake pedal assembly fitted into a bracket that was held down by 2 bolts.The switch actually screws into the bracket making it adjustable in or out to get the plunger in the right position to operate the switch.There is a cotter pin that goes through the bracket just under the switch as well so it stops the switch moving about when in place which makes it impossible to adjust when in position.You probably all know about this info but I had not got a clue until this happened so perhaps this info may help someone in the future.So try and keep Fit,Slim and very flexible and very bendy in case you too have to sort out yer brake light switch on a Marlin Roadster.Mine Marina based.P.S. still aching 4 days later and arranged to have my arms lengthened by 6 inches so I can reach under there better !! if I ever need to again.HOPE NOT !
                      Attached Files

Comment

Re: As for the Brake Light Switch

Exactly the item I suffered with.. trying to get the two bolts into the housing unit after fixing the inside of the switch was hell. Had to keep a stick jammed onto the pedal so the housing could be positioned right over the holes which you can not see. I used a small allen key to align one hole then put a nut into an 11mm socket and the bolt in on top - so that the bolt would be held 'shallow'. This helped tremendously to hold the bolt upright as I could grip the socket easier than the tiny threaded bolt... I don't envy anyone that gets this problem...!

Comment

In case of future repairs, on some hard to reach things, I often change the fixing screws to studs loctited into the hole.
                          Quite simple then to slide something like this switch onto the stud and then spin a nut on. In the top of my socket drawer is a blob of Bluetak, ready to temporarily locate a nut into a socket, that won't then fall out, another tip is to superglue a washer onto the nut, avoiding even more fiddling, particularly useful when handling small non magnetic parts. I have even been seen super glueing stainless screws to my screwdrivers.

This works particularly well for things like a Marina mechanical fuel pump, that has two gaskets and a spacer, and sometimes a heat shield that are conventionally bolted together. Not so easy when you are trying to work against the pump spring as well.

Comment

good tips Steve,as for the Brake light switch,if ever need to do it again I will tie a piece of rope to the wife's Feet and send her in Head first lol ,she don't know it yet though !!..P.S. got a spare switch off you know where E-Bay

Comment

Originally posted by old-n-notpastityet View Post
                              good tips Steve,as for the Brake light switch,if ever need to do it again I will tie a piece of rope to the wife's Feet and send her in Head first lol ,she don't know it yet though !!..P.S. got a spare switch off you know where E-Bay
                              It's only when you get into deep sh1t that the wife and/or screwdriver would benefit from some superglue. You just have to apply it in the correct place in the right quantity, but don't leave it lying around for others to use, there might be repurcussions.
                              If you have a spare switch, you must plan on replacing it sometime in the future. It's not recommended to plan to replace your wife. I did the calculations, and it's not that practical or economical.

Comment

Working...
                              X