Oil Filter Housing Question. ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Housing Question. ??

I have been trying to research about the 1.8 B Series engine oil filter housing.I have a 1.8 B series engine with a single carb in my Marina based Roadster and the oil filter screws on from the top,I did buy a spare engine which was listed as a 1.8 B series engine but the oil filter on this one screws on from the underside of the housing but the engines are otherwise the same.What I am wondering is was the housing changed at a certain year ?? cheers all
    Added pictures.Top one with the down fitment for filter and the next one in my Marlin with the top fitting filter
    Attached Files
    Last edited by old_n_notpastityet; 09-08-16, 10:04 PM. Reason: added pictures

Re: Oil Filter Housing Question. ??

Happy to be corrected but IIRC early Mk1 Marinas shared the inverted type filter with the MGB (which continued to use inverted throughout - having a larger starter which precluded a hanging filter), with later Marina (Mk2 onwards) reverting to hanging-type.
    It may not be quite as neat as that as my donor was a 74 Estate, which whilst nominally a Mk1, was in actual fact partly Mk2, with hanging filter and other Mk2 changes.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

thank's for the info,much appreciated.The reason I am not sure of the engine in my Roadster is that I don't know the year of the donor car. Cheers.

Comment

It's one of the several odd things that Marlin Roadster owners will come accross.
        If you were not going to bother with retaining the donor registration plate there was little reason to record the donor Registration or Chassis number, of any other pertinent details, and of course many cars were built from multiple donor vehicles as the parts were needed, Marinas back then were in plentiful supply.
        There are several variants of the gearbox, the reversing ger came in different sizes, the only way to be sure is to open the box and have a look.
        There are similarly many variants of the basic B Series engines, but luckily they have an engine plate from which you can identify its original use, whether MGB or Marina etc. That is not to say that the cylinders heads have not been swapped or converted to unleaded and all the other ancillaries swapped around over 30 to 40 years.
        The Marina B was often targeted by MGB owners who wanted to upgrade from a 3 to a 5 bearing crank, so what at first glance might be a set of true MGB ancillaries, could be bolted to a Marina block, but hopefully the engine number plate will still be in place.

Comment

Know what your saying about being in good supply back then.Not now obviously,most of them gone to the scrap yard,I am buying bits that I find when available to keep me on the road.The engine number is still on mine in the Roadster,it is 18V807F-H211 . I will check what the number is on the spare engine I bought,cheers

Comment

18 = capacity 1798
            V = inline (i.e. RWD)
            807 = engine feature code for which I can't find a decoder (e.g. alternator or dynamo; mechanical vs electric fuel pump; police-spec etc.)
            F = country-code - UK-spec
            H = high compression
            211 = engine serial number
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

The V is confusing as MGB engines whilst rear wheel drive were coded 18G? with only the very last Mk 3 ones 18V as the Marina come into production.

Comment

Indeed - the numbering system changed at various points.
                18V represents the latest scheme, introduced in 1970...18GG were under the preceding scheme.

Comment

Done a lorra Googling and found engine numbering stuff but can't relate them to a specific date,all a bit confusing,I was curious about the different oil filter housings,the filter I use on my Marlin engine will screw onto the other engine filter housing but not fully screw up to seal.cheers for all your help,regards..

Comment

Working...
                  X