Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock absorber id & bush source

Hi folks,

Can some kind Soul id this shock for me?

Ordinarily, I'd never figure anyone could id it given its been painted with silver hammerite and is a good 15 yrs old, but when my Dad built the car he said he's fairly sure it was specific to the Marlin and he seems to think the name may have been 'Spax'. I'm hoping to be able to find a replacement upper mounting bush..?

They may also be 'adjustable'; there appears to be a round knurled bit on (both) the front shocks. If it is adjustable; how would I adjust it and more importantly - why would I want to adjust them? - Sounding a bit green there - but its all a big learning curve for me...

Have another question but that needs a separate post...

Cheers
    Tony

Re: Shock absorber id & bush source

Found these:
    damper bush for spax and gaz. Mini Spares stock over 9000 Classic Mini parts and accessories.

says they fit all spax shocks upper & lower... Would prefer polyurethane if I could find them...

I'll take one off and measure it...

Comment

They are triumph herald rear shocks.

Comment

Superflex have what you want.....
        polyurethane bushes, car suspension bushes, uprated car suspension, replacement car suspension bushes, suspension upgrades, polyurethane, bushes, suspension, polyurethane suspension, polyurethane car suspension bushes, suspension bushes, poly, urethane, supplier, distributor, superflex, car, parts, spares, Wells, somerset
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Brilliant, many thanks!

Comment

Ok, despite my Dad being sure he fitted Spax shocks to the front... I checked through the old 1995 receipts (he fortunately kept everything!) and have found a receipt for 2 Jamex shocks. I have searched for 'Jamex' shocks and drawn a blank - particularly in respect of replacement bushes. Despite hoping I'd be able to replace the 'bonded rubber around a metal sleeve' type bushes with poly U ones - its really not helpful that on all the websites I see - they only list one dimension measurement if any - the inner diameter.
            The ones I am trying to source are, when I measure them: 30mm wide x 30mm thick, the sleeve takes an 11.75mm bolt (M12?, 19mm head & nut on the bolt). The shock eyes are 24mm wide & the sleeve, end to end is 36mm.

Do I have to use a similar design bush? in that - could I use a poly bush with no metal inner sleeve; would it wear out quickly?

Comment

I have a plan... When my Dad built the car and assembled the front suspension, he put the top & bottom shock absorber support bolts in 'head to the front & tail to the rear' which means I can't just undo the nuts and pull the bolts out to release the shocks as the head has 5mm of clearance before it buts against a metal plate which is part of the suspension framework & it in turn is held in by 2 bolts. Following the recent history of my bad luck... these 2 bolts are also blocked by part of the fiberglass body - so I have to undo perhaps 20 small bolts and remove the light assembly bar to allow the body to move enough to release these 2 bolts... Piece of cake really
              However I have a few hours today to spare.. Once removed, I can release the shocks and then measure their eye diameter. With this exact measurement, I can ask the retail sites of these various poly bushes for a good fitting bush. The inner diameter of the bush I can use a bit of stainless tubing to act as the sleeve for the M12 bolts; so all I need is a bit of tubing that is the right size for the bush & the bolt.
              I can reassemble it all again with the bolts pointing forwards so I can easily undo them and fit the new bushes when they arrive. Meanwhile though, I have some sticky backed rubber electrical tape which I'll wrap around the old bush to suffice as a temporary fix.

Comment

Have you had a look at www.rallydesign.co.uk for suspension bushes.

Comment

If you have dimensions why not contact Superflex.
                  As stated earlier the Marlin version were Triumph Herald rear shocks, if their bushes are the same size, you have your solution.

Comment

After 15 years might be worth considering replacement shocks in any event & Gaz items come with poly bushes as standard.
                    The link above takes you to the Herald listing page.
                    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Instead of taking all the parts off to undo the bolts, would it not be possible to cut through the head with a small angle grinder fitted with an 1/8th inch disc. David.

Comment

Hmmm... That sounds like a feasible plan; just need to source a few bolts first. as it happened, my wife gave me other matters to attend to this afternoon instead of the car... So it's untouched atm. I'll look at the idea, I have a small angle grinder, it might be possible

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
                          After 15 years might be worth considering replacement shocks in any event & Gaz items come with poly bushes as standard.
                          The link above takes you to the Herald listing page.
                          That might be the most sensible option all round. Although 15 yrs old, the car hasn't even covered 700 miles & sat undercover for 8yrs but nonetheless, I like the idea of new shocks. I'll remove the current ones & measure up & maybe give them a ring..

Comment

I cut the head off the bolt, pushed it through and put a new one in the right way round. Easy with my favourite tool, the angle grinder with a 'plasma' very thin cutting disk.

Comment

Glad that some of us "old uns" have a few tips to help out. David.

Comment

Working...
                              X