Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SU Carbs

Message originally posted by: Don
    I am suffering from the engine failing to drop revs and return to idle. lee H suggested that this was probably due to a worn throttle spindle and he was right.

So does anyone have a spare front SU body for an MGB engine?

Re: SU Carbs

Don.
    Have you tried Burlen services for a new spindle,they used to be available.The housing rarely wears but the spindles do.I've replaced them in the past when all other attemps to cure erratic idle have failed.

Comment

Burlen do a full service kit for most SU's you can even get rid of the waxstat jets if you still have them Tel 01722 412500
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks all

Comment

www.carburetters.co.uk claim to have just about everything to do with carbs. I can't personally comment on them, tho', as I haven't used them.

Comment

Hi Don,
            I have a 1.5 su you can have, I am only at Towcester nice little run out in the marlin. The other thing to check is that you are not getting air into the inlet manifold via the servo pipe or connections. You can test this by disconnecting the servo pipes and blocking the outlet on teh manifold.
            Chris

Comment

Its definately the spindles there's about half a mil wobble up and down and this prevents the butterflies from closing sometimes, hence the anti-social noise.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Chris, I think I will have to rebuild the ones I have.
                Thanks Don

Comment

I've just resolved a similar problem, though the cause in my case was down to a broken strand on the throttle cable (inside the outer cable) - when accelerating no problem, but when releasing the throttle the inner cable was binding on the outer and refusing to return cleanly to idle. A 2500 rpm idle speed is a bit of a challenge in stop/go traffic...
                  Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                  Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Working...
                  X