Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom trunion's

Message originally posted by: Lee
    Has anyone heard of a conversion kit to get rid of the bottom trunion's on a Marina based roadster and convert to a ball joint. I seem to remember there was something made but not sure
    Thanks
    Lee

Re: Bottom trunion's

Message originally posted by: Don
    I have contemplated this one myself, I had a good look at the time and could find no trace of a commercial product, neither could I see a way of engineering a ball joint solution, without either making a whole new upright or seriously altering the geometry. The Marina owners club will know if there is a solution out there. The other problem is that the Marina has the bottom joint in tension, all other BL cars, with ball joints, have the suspension loads fed to the top joint so the ball joint is in compression at the top and takes only sideways load at the bottom. I can think of only one car with a bottom ball joint in tension and that is the Cortina.

Comment

A ball joint would probably make the steering heavy. Because the trunions are hand on the thread. As you turn the car tends to did on the thread to that side. There was a kit to restore the upright\'s thread by fitting double threaded sleeve and a bigger trunion. A bit mickey mouse really.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Message originally posted by: As above
        That should read DIP on the thread

Comment

Message originally posted by: Lee
          Thanks everyone but next question should the trunnions have Grease or a thick oil in them.....

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
            Grease, according to marina manual.

Comment

The trunnion conversions previously mentioned are by a company called Walford and are still available. They are not mickey mouse but a stronger version than standard. They were fitted as standard to all police marinas and GPO vans for this very reason. See previous thread for contact details.
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
              - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

The trunions on a Triumph are almost the same and they are oiled with EP90 as you turn the oil is forced up and down the thread, as with grease it just gets pushed up and then it stays there.However the Marina version has always been greased so its up to you. Just doit regularly
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                X