Diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff

Marina based roadster-Signs are overheating axle,noxious smell in vicinity,breather melted,no obvious loss of oil,both halfshaft turn but no movement from propshaft or vice versa-suspect diff broken but unsure as to what or why-any thoughts

Re: Diff

Message originally posted by: Derek (tech Rep)Cabrio
    Maybe to pin that the pinions turn on. Favorite loss on V8 MGB's the pin comes loose and drops out, if you are lucky!

Comment

Does the car still drive?
      If so then it is more than likely the bearings in the diff have siezed. This was a common problem with the Caterham that was fitted with the Ital axle. Caterham fitted baffles inside the axle casing and a strengthening rib along the back. The problem occurs on long fast corners as all the oil gets forced down the axle casing to the hub leaving the diff dry. This would then cause the bearings to sieze up causing the problems you describe and then eventual failure.
      Hope this helps.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thanks for input guys.Have sourced a replacement diff,regretably a 1300 rather than 1800 I needed[local scrappies]on the basis that the problem will result in replacement

Comment

Working...
        X