SWB steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWB steering

My Marina base roadster has what appears to be an extension on the left track rod, the tracking appears to be spot on in the straight ahead position, but it results in a very poor left lock, and very tight right lock, is this normal? or is there a good fix or improvement available?

Re: SWB steering

Merv,
    I would have to say that this is not normal. Something has been bodged in the past me thinks. Get yourself a new rack but make sure it is the correct one. Mk1 and Mk2 marinas have different mountings. Also fit new track rod ends.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Is it all Marina or has the car got Triumph front suspension
      as the extension was fitted to TR cars as they are 2" wider than the donor? If it is a Hybrid TR front marina rear thenlet me know. The extension should be screwed on as far as pos then the tracking adjusted from the right trackrod end. This then reduces the bump steer.If its all Marina then follow Jons advice.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi again, This appears to be a marina base car, with torsion bar front, the chassis is no 2443, and the doner was 1973, L reg, i don't know alot more yet, im still working my way round it, finding out what is what. thanks merv.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Morris Roseman
          Hi Merv,

I owned the car and carried out the restoration in the mid 90s, and then finally sold it about 4 years ago.

At the time the steering rack gave me a lot of grief, and I had a lot of discussion with YKC over the rack and the chassis dimensions. I was told that I had fitted the correct rack for the chassis (all Marina/ Ital based). As there was too much toe-in with the extensions, and too much toe-out without them, they advised me at the time that it was okay to fit just one extension. This of course cured the problem (but of course gave reduced lock in one direction).

Out of interest, I completed the restoration (including engine/ gearbox swap) in 1998, and then competed in and won (in the home built class) the Guild of Motor Endurance 6 hour event held at Mallory Park.

I'm really glad that the Marlin still lives on, as I got a lot of pleasure from building and driving it. Please contact me if you need more info regarding its spec etc (morrisroseman(at)hotmail.com).

PS If you have a recent photo, I would love to see the car again.

Kind regards.

Morris Roseman

Comment

Working...
          X