Silencers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silencers

There's been periodic debate about suitable replacement side-exit silencers for the Roadster, so I thought I'd share my recent experiences.

Extensive trawling of the internet brought me to Tiger Exhausts, who, interestingly, are a division of Double S who made the boxes for the original Plymouth-made Marlins. Whilst they don't have the original patterns they do offer a similar sized box with offset inlet and centre outlet (part # SSUB) though it's made to order rather than a shelf-part.

The wait was rather longer than expected but the price was OK and it's now fitted. I cut-off the old tailpipe and clamped this into the outlet stub - the only issue was that the box was sold as suitable for 45mm inlet/outlet pipes...well, this is not quite true... The inlet/outlet are designed to accept 45mm internal diameter pipe, not 45mm external pipe as on the original exhaust system...muppet award for me then..! Luckily I had a piece of sleeve kicking around which solved the problem. However I'm sure they'd happily weld it up to suit any size you care to specify...I just couldn't be bothered to wait another 5 weeks given the old box had a 2p sized hole in it and b....r all wadding left (the exhaust bandage just lasted the 30 odd minutes it was in the MOT station).

It's worth noting that Peter Burgess (B Series guru) reckons that stainless boxes are quite prone to consuming their wadding, resulting in noticeable power losses above 4500-5000 rpm.

Try tapping the box with a spanner - if it "dings" rather than "dongs" then it's probably empty...mine did and it was.

Anyway, time for a test drive and to see if that mid-range flat spot has vanished.

Jez
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.
Working...
X