Tie Rod Bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie Rod Bushes

Don't know about the rest of you, but my tie-rods have been squeaking and rattling for a couple of years now. Why the MOT man passes them I don't know . This year he even commented on the rattle as I drive onto the rolling road, but failed to find the source. In fact the bushes, which are not rubber bu t a weird sort of papery resin stuff, have compressed and fallen apart to the point where the rods were loose at the front end. One side rattled, t'other squeaked.

I've had a hunt around the internet and all the local parts dealers to no effect. A freind pointed out that Morris Minors had a similar suspension setup, and that's been my salvation.

A root around the net through up http://www.morrisminorspares.co.uk/
    Their polyurethane tie rod bushes SUS118A are the correct thickness for our cars, but too small a diameter. But I found that after a light simmer in hot water they can be fairly easily driven onto the tie rod with a washer and a tubular drift.

This is fine on the bench where access is easy, but after fitting one bush the bar must be located in the car before fittnig the other. Having introduced the second bush to the rod on the bench, and then removed it, I found that I could just get a couple of threads on the nut (no washer ) with the bar installed. This was enough to start the bush, and then with the washer in place I was able to fully tighten the rod, which clamps the bushes onto the car as intended.

The result is a very successful transformation. The bushed seem stiff enough for the small lack of diameter not to matter overly. Certainly they're better than the decomoposed fibre!

The Minor people also use some Marina bits, principally to beef up the front brakes, so have useful stocks of brake pads, disks and so-on if needed.

Cheers

Andy

Re: Tie Rod Bushes

try superflex www.superflex.co.uk
    part no SPF 0669
    I have had good service from them

Comment

try superflex www.superflex.co.uk
      part no SPF 0669
      I have had good service from them

Comment

See thread 2.09.04 it may help, another company is Polybush www.polybush.co.uk
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
        X