Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating cabin space in swb Roadster

Hiya folks,

I have just purchased a Marlin roadster and as I am a 6 foot 1 16 stone bodybuilder I'm looking to make a little more space. Here's what I thought...

1. Lower the seat by having some steel trays fabricated and welded to the chassis so the seat sits 2-3 inches lower.

2. Have a custom shaped tank made so the drivers seat can be put 2-3 inches further back.

3. Narrow the centre channel to a bare minimum, allowing for handbrake etc width.

Any thoughts on the feasibility of these mods? Any obvious problems?

Cheers,

Gavin.

Re: Creating cabin space in swb Roadster

Should have bought a cabrio

Comment

They arnt as much fun as a roadster. I have seen a roadster that had a mini estate/van tank mounted on 2" spacers thus giving room in the boot. you may be able to shove the seat back a bit more by "dressing" the panel behind the seat.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

"Should have bought a cabrio"

Spoken like a man with a higher budget than mine...hehehe. Ben, Any idea how much room there typically is between the panel behind the seat and the actual tank? Still waiting on collecting the car so can't really go and have a look myself.

Cheers,

Gav.

Comment

Hi, Gavin I looked at this myself and depending on what engine is fitted there is a chance the pedal box can go forward. So with your floor lowered, always a good mod anyway helps get you down behind the screen, the rear bulkhead reshaped you should manage it. I have a photo of a roadster with the back body removed, and replaced with a lotus 7 type back end. A lwb roadster is 6ins longer than swb, and lwb can accomadate 6foot drivers, so I am sure you will find the 6ins or so you need. Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Comment

Hi Gavin, The thing thats behind the seat is a chassis cross member that also takes the top shock mount. The tank is behind the axle so there is some space between the panel behind the seat and the axle. But you cant go back too far because your shoulders meet up with the body apron. you will find the main problem is getting enough leg room to operate the pedals. Very thin soled shoes helps. Or you could try doing away with the seat and just use a cushion.I assume this is a Marina based car?

Comment

Danny,
              Thanks for that mate - I had considered moving the pedals but had hoped to "upgrade" the engine as my insurance premiums come down over the years so will (hopefully!) need all the space I can get. I reckon I only need 3 inches more room to be comfy. As it is my knees are a little too bent and contact the wheel if I'm not careful.

Ben,
              Yup, it's Marina based. I've stuck a pic on for ya,

Cheers,

Gav.

Comment

Your pic didnt stick, probably too big. Not sure of the limit and Sue is away this weekend.

Comment

Gavin,
                  Use a small steering wheel. Mountney make a 10" which helps. You could also move the column. The Marlin design is horizontal but some owners have re-positioned the column to a more conventional rake. This involves cutting away the pedal box and fabricating different mounting brackets but will add more knee room. You could also ditch the pedal box completely and buy a top mount swinging job like the one from Rally Design. This would enable you to push the bulkhead back and would also bring the added advantage of brake bias control with twin master cylinders which would lead nicely into a brake upgrade using 4 pots on the front and discs at the back.
                  http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=10688
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                  - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                    Hi Guys

Just got back from the Lales weekend. It was superb! Article in the Oct/Nov mag.

Meanwhile, photos on the forum have to be a maximum size of 600x600 pixels or no larger than 64k and jpeg only. You should be able to resize photos and save as jpeg.

Comment

Hi Gavin

I'm 6ft 4in and 17 stone with 35" inside leg so, even though I have a long wheel base Roadster I understand your problem. I modified my car to help me fit in comfortably and be able to drive as safely as possible:

1/ Removed standard Marlin seats (fibreglass shells). These are not substantially padded so were retained but I removed all packing from the mounts to enable them to sit a bit lower.

2/ My car already had aluminium wells fitted into the plywood floor but I removed the drivers side and fitted a deeper steel tray (1.75" deep at the back and 1" deep at the front - its difficult to go deeper because the seat bottom only just clears the top side corners of the tray when sliding backwards and forwards). This was bolted into place through the original angle iron floor mounts.

3/ The seat was re-fitted to allow it to slide backwards until it reaches the rear parcel shelf. I experimented with packers under the front seat frame mount to get the most comfortable recline angle without compromising backwards movement. I was also careful to make sure there was enough forward movement for my 5ft 7" wife to reach the pedals.

4/ My steering wheel has an 11" diameter so I lifted it away from the top of my thighs by packing up the column mounting behind the dash. Needed to cut a longer slot in the fibreglass bulkhead to allow the column to sit higher. This has the added advantage of improving the angle of the wheel.

5/ I didn't modify my tunnel as I just fit snugly sideways. It's quite a tight fit but very supportive, only getting uncomfortable if I leave a phone or keys in my pocket.

Not sure if the attached picture will be small enough to stick but it should give some idea of the relative seat positions(the passenger seat is moreorless standard).
                      I realise that the SWB is 6" shorter but all the above should help and I am taller than you so hopefully you will manage without major alterations to the fuel tank, pedals etc.

Comment

I thought I knew what I was doing with jpegs! Try again.

Comment

Hi Simon
                          Very interesting advice. Can you say a bit more about how you packed up the steering. I'd like to raise my steering wheel to get a 14inch job in.

Thanks

Comment

Thank you all so much, fantastically helpful one and all.
                            Here's a link to a pic of my marlin as is...hope to start work on it next week.

http://www.affordablesupplements.co.uk/ns/forum_v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=305&stc=1

Comment

Sorry for this late reply. I've been in the Lakes for a week complete with Roadster, 3 children and wife (she took her Seat Alhambra people carrier). Furthest it's been! Showed up 2 small problems 1/ petrol leak on fuel pump outlet pipe - sorted with new jubilee clip.
                              2/ headlamp bracket broke off on the top of a very big hill ('Grizebeck', for anyone who knows the West Lakes). Fixed temporarily with tape and plastic ties. Got to fix properly this week. Nice driving country though.

Hi Gavin - your car looks good from the photos. Is there a lot to do? Mine looked a lot rougher when I bought it. Not too sure about the horns though. Good luck.

Hi Alan - on my Marina based car the steering column passes through the bulkhead in a tube which has 2 mounting brackets (one at the engine side of the bulkhead shelf and one on the passenger side of the bulkhead behind the dash). My mod was to simply pack up the bracket behind the dash with washers and use longer mounting bolts. I had to cut the bulkhead to allow the column to sit higher and then resealed round it with silicone. If I remember correctly, I gained approximately 3/4" at the bulkhead which gave me even more at the dash end. Where the column exits through the dash it just misses the bottom edge of the dash top moulding. I suppose you could go even higher if you were prepared to notch out the return edge of the dash top.

My problem is long, lanky legs so I needed a bit more clearance for my thighs. I already have a small diameter Mountney wheel and couldn't really go any larger. Why do you want a 14" wheel - authenticity or steering effort or perhaps both?

I suppose your ability to create more clearance will depend on how your car was originally built but that's how I did mine. Good luck with yours.

I've attached a side view photo which may help show the steering wheel angle. The photo I previously attached above seems very small so I'm trying to send a slightly larger pic this time. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
                              X