Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of Marlin engine rebuild

Message originally posted by: Tiyen Miller
    Some of you may remember that I had some major problems with my Roadster's 1585 fiat twin cam motor last summer... I've been hard at work over summer break (I'm a teacher) rebuilding it and it's been really rewarding! I've made a short video of the process - check it out and let me know what you think with a comment or two...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11gEWqhDsUo
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11gEWqhDsUo" target="_blank">The Video</a>

Re: Video of Marlin engine rebuild

Message originally posted by: Tiyen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11gEWqhDsUo

Comment

Looks really great. You must be proud of the results. Nothing quite like doing it yourself. I am just about to embark on the rebuild of my Fiat twin cam so any advice from a recent "experienced" builder would be good for this rebuild virgin. Did you find it hard to find the parts required for example. Which suppliers did you use and what was the best advice. I have the 3 PC mags you mentioned in your earlier thread which seem good. Any advice very welcome even on things like engine laquer etc..
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Message originally posted by: S. Spielberg
        Great video Ti. Call me. Steve.

Comment

Cheers Mr Spielberg... Ha ha... Well, making the video is kind of fun, and my mum took all these photos and videos as i worked in her garage so I figured I\'d do something with them.

Comment

Hi Jon,
            yeah, it was my first twincam rebuild too, and I definately learned a lot. Really enjoyed it though - spent most of the time cleaning and preparing parts, it seems. The actual build up doesn't take too long once you've sourced most of the bits and you've had all the machining done etc.

Feel free to get in touch by email if you have any questions, and I'll gladly offer whatever advice I can. Or we can start a new thread here so others can read along, I suppose.

In any case, the engine paint: This was a mission! I initially bought a can of "Engine Lacquer" at a local parts store (sorry the can's not here so I don't know the brand), and it was a disaster. The colour on the can lid was RED - like a really deep ferrari red (which is exactly what I wanted - it's italian, right?). However as I painted it on - it was a horrible lavender/raspberrry colour! I figured "well maybe it'll change when it dried/cures". No. It didn't.

so I went back to square one and bought another can of Hammerite gloss red. Much better. To be true, it's not red either (again despite the colour on the lid) - but it's a nice orange - kind of like Mopar hemi orange. So that's cool.

Moral of the story - open the tin of paint at the shop and look before you buy!

Parts sourcing is an issue - guy croft is very good, but he really only deals with the race end of engines, and is priced accordingly. Very genuine and helpful person, though. He's up in Lincoln. www.guycroft.com

You will have a tough time sourcing pistons - custom forged race pistons are avail (with a long lead time, however) but at 750 plus vat plus 110 for some special rings - it's time to do some serious thinking about the costs involved. I ran my old pistons, as they measured up okay. Yeah, I'd prob sleep better knowing I had new ones, but well cost is a factor for me so you do what you have to do...

There are some other suppliers, but many parts still need to come in from Italy, which is a mission. Availability for 2l parts might be a bit better than for my 1585, though.

Books- if you can get hold of a copy of guy croft's fiat twin cam book - do so. It's very very good. They go on ebay for over 100 quid quite regularly though. Been out of print for a long time. I got mine from a stand in stoneleigh a few years ago for a tenner, though. Get the haynes and any other manuals you can find, too for good measure of course.

anywyay, fire away w/ any questions!

Comment

oops. it's www.guy-croft.com

It's an absolute treasure trove of information and knowlege...

Be sure to check out www.gcroft.com as well.

Comment

Message originally posted by: S. Spielberg
                OK Ti, so your mom made the movie, have your mom call me.

Comment

The disgusting pink engine lacquer I bought online must be the same stuff. Fortunately I didn't paint the lot. Ought to be a law.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Tiyen Miller
                    Yep, prob the same stuff - what a hassle. To be fair, it adhered to the iron very well, and I suppose it worked well as a primer for the hammerite...

Apparently, you can just use ordinary automotive paint on engine blocks w/o any problems due to heat, etc. Exhaust components, however are a very differnt matter, I'd imagine.

Comment

Working...
                    X