Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reattaching the offside front cycle wing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reattaching the offside front cycle wing...

An ongoing issue for some of us Sportster owners. Mine is particularly odd in that there's only one bumper bolt front and rear on the wings, the stay doesn't go full width of the wing and the offside rear one is swivelling in the hole and rusted onto it's nut.

I probably need to find some slotted head bumper bolts as shouldered ones won't work on worm out fibreglass holes. Anyone know where to get some?
    Attached Files
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Reattaching the offside front cycle wing...

I have used this kind of bolt Untitled.jpg extensively to attach bumpers, wings and down the centre line of the bonnet.
    Search eBay for Button Headed bolts and buy stainless versions and nuts, they won't rust

Comment

^ me too!!

Comment

Yes I’v got som elf those but the heads are only 16mm, the existing heads are 22mm, I’ll have to hunt around.
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Those on my Berlinetta came with the car and the heads are 16mm. IF you mean this (see picture) try to google for “stainless DIN 921“. For M8 the available head size is 16/20/25mm and may profit from additional polishing/rounding the edges. Quick search found uk based offers about 5pounds each but should be possible to get them much cheaper. Link to see what I’m talking about: https://www.accu.co.uk/large-slotted...-SFPL-M8-20-A1
          For bumpers I have used domed nuts (front) and regular hex head with polished heads (done myself to remove description) (back)
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Found something that may do the job. M8x30mm with 20mm mushroom slotted head.
              https://www.accu.co.uk/slotted-mushr...2-SFM-M8-30-A2

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                An ongoing issue for some of us Sportster owners. Mine is particularly odd in that there's only one bumper bolt front and rear on the wings, the stay doesn't go full width of the wing and the offside rear one is swivelling in the hole and rusted onto it's nut.

I probably need to find some slotted head bumper bolts as shouldered ones won't work on worm out fibreglass holes. Anyone know where to get some?
                Use a nice large chromed bumper bolt. Carefully file two generous flats across the end 6mm of the thread. Forget nyloc nuts and use a shakeproof washer and plain nut. You can then assemble it all until finger tight. Then use a small spanner, or the end faces of Mole grips, to grip across the flats to prevent the bolt turning while you use a spanner to fully tighten the nut.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                  Use a nice large chromed bumper bolt. Carefully file two generous flats across the end 6mm of the thread. Forget nyloc nuts and use a shakeproof washer and plain nut. You can then assemble it all until finger tight. Then use a small spanner, or the end faces of Mole grips, to grip across the flats to prevent the bolt turning while you use a spanner to fully tighten the nut.
                  I did try doing just this with the existing setup but the nylon refused to budge, angle grinder next.

Comment

There's a good selection fastners in different materials here https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/ - used them for my wing stay stainless fastners.
                    BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
                    http://www.modelog.co.uk/
                    http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                      There's a good selection fastners in different materials here https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/ - used them for my wing stay stainless fastners.
                      Thanks.

Comment

I am a little late to the discussion but I have had made up two sets of plates. They are millef out at the back to fit a rubber pad and then bolted though the wing onto the stay bar. These reduce pressure points in the wing clamping the wing rather than the bolt pressure in a small area. What I have done is introduce a series of fillets welded into the stay construction which has improved rigidity and strength

Comment

I'm a bit late here but I use https://www.wycombenutandbolt.co.uk/ for all my nuts and bolts.

Very knowledgeable guy.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                            I'm a bit late here but I use https://www.wycombenutandbolt.co.uk/ for all my nuts and bolts.

Very knowledgeable guy.

Adrian
                            Thanks, he as very helpful, we spent 15 minutes looking at options and went with domed, but he didn’t have chrome or polished so will have to polish them up myself.

Comment

Working...
                            X