X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A_Hogg
    replied
    Re: Newfold farm camping weekend 11th - 12th june 2022

Not this time I'm afraid , but will be at Carsington water on Sunday weather permitting

Leave a comment:

• lizbillings
    replied

Sunday run and lunch with classic club to Great British Car Journey Museum. Sat see you at Sheldon?

Leave a comment:

• A_Hogg
    replied

What's happening this weekend?

Leave a comment:

• dcunn
    replied

Well done Doug !

Leave a comment:

• lizbillings
    replied

All ready for this weekends fun on Sat & Sun! Much quieter too!

Leave a comment:

• Ye Ol Ripper
    replied

I agree with Alans advice to use Allen key Bolts and also some blue threadlock. The MK1 & MK2 Ford Granada's had this set up. I do recall the bolts coming loose on our family car and the Ford dealer said that the car needed 2 new drive shafts , from the clonking noise at take off. However after their dodgy inspection, we inspected this ourselves and discovered the allen key bolts had all come loose . So blue Loctite or equivalent is the way to proceed.

A useful tip for undoing tight torque bolts that may have had loctite on the threads is to heat it up a bit. That softens the blue loctite.
    I use an electric paint stripper gun with a heat deflecting shield on the end . Obviously using something in addition to protect the CV rubber gaitor from the heat .
    Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 21-06-22, 06:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• A_Hogg
    replied

John, I would try to get replacements from a bearing supplier that supplies Timken, SKF, or NSK or similar quality.

Leave a comment:

• John_Mulvaney
    replied

Just waiting for replacement wheel bearings to be delivered - APC tracking says they will be here by 12!
    Only the n/s hub investigated at the moment and bearings found to be duff as was the concensus of opinion at the weekend - both races have pitted rollers with the in-board race having a broken roller too, all after less than 2000 miles. I have replaced wheel bearings before so I cannot think that it is something I have caused.
    I expected better from Burton Power and have reported back to them accordingly - especially since I have just purchased 2 more sets!
    Off side next while I await their reply - might be better to send the delivery back and purchase elsewhere.
    Thanks to all who predicted my problem.
    John

Leave a comment:

• lizbillings
    replied

Now got all the parts ready for re-assembly. Bolts arrived this am from Sierra's 'R' Us NW Ltd.

Leave a comment:

• John_Mulvaney
    replied

We are back home again now after our extra 2 days walking in Edale.
    Sorry to hear that our Cabrio "rear end" maladies have somehow jinxed your Berli Doug, though I am thinking that if a CV joint can fail without prior symptoms my noise worries are looking increasingly like a failed wheel bearing as we discussed. All will be revealed shortly......!
    Unlike the esteemed Mr. H. I found that the torx-headed bolts were so tight that the torx tool just twisted to destruction - the trade said they often find that they have to resort to use of a grinder. I ground a slot to weaken the head and allow the use of a large flat screwdriver blade in a hammer-driven impact driver to shift them.
    The replacement allen bolts came with the diff. from Kit Spares and the driveshafts from Grahame Goode in Leicester who have a comprehensive list of shaft lengths/diameters/spline count on their website.
    Great weekend, regards All, John

Leave a comment:

• lizbillings
    replied

Many thanks for advice. Collecting driveshafts today from SAS at Matlock. Will ask them about new bolts but dindn't fancy Locktite on Torx bolts.
    Doug

Leave a comment:

• A_Hogg
    replied

Hi Liz/Doug
    Are the bolts 'Torqx' type head ? I've read and experienced these coming undone for reasons I've never managed to fathom. I replaced with allen key type and Loctite thread locking compound . Just make sure threads are clean internally.
    Ford apparently used the torx type for ease of assembly. I've bought cv joints /driveshafts from a firm in Birmingham [JR driveshafts or something like] that advertise on e bay. Good stuff that doesn't cost a fortune!
    Last edited by A_Hogg; 14-06-22, 08:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lizbillings
    replied

Update. Bolts coupling the driveshaft to the hub had come out and driveshaft was no longer coupled to hub. Amazingly the bolts are undamaged and still in the driveshaft and the threads in the hub also seem to be undamaged. The CV joint has quite a lot of play in it and needs replacing.

Leave a comment:

• dave_kitson
    replied

Great to see everyone. Hope Doug & Liz get the car mended in time for Newark. We made good time home, which was just as well, as I was suffering S&D last night! Must have eaten summat! Dave & Caroline

Leave a comment:

• ggrum
    replied

That's bad luck but pleased that you got home safely. It was great to see you both and all the others at the weekend. Look forward to the next time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X