Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle position sensor - can anyone help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle position sensor - can anyone help please?

I need to find a replacement throttle position sensor (TPS) for my Cabrio with Ford 2.0 DOHC Efi 8V engine. Does anybody have a spare one or tell me where I can get one?

Re: Throttle position sensor - can anyone help please?

I got a replacement a few years ago now through my local motor spares shop. Not sure, but I think the same part was used on a number of different models at that time. Considering its just a potentiometer in a plastic case it wasn't cheap!

Comment

Webcon UK do a replacement but be prepared to pay nearly £120 . Last time I looked they were about £90

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The Webcon one is now £140 inc vat but to be honest it’s probably worth spending that to get reliability. The engine hesitates quite badly on part-throttle but is so intermittent it’s impossible to replicate in the garage. I’ve tried everything I can think of, replaced the ISCV and MAP sensor, all the vacuum pipes, coolant temperature sensor and some of the wiring. It’s not a fuel problem in my opinion, definitely electrical.

My Gunson Ford fault code reader isn’t picking anything up either. Hopefully someone on here can suggest other remedies otherwise I’m going to bite the bullet and order the Webcon TPS.

Comment

May not be relevant to your situation but the problem I had a few years ago with the same engine was idle speed varying over a wide range with the engine sometimes dying. I removed and cleaned the idle control valve which made no difference. I then replaced the valve and again it made no difference. A friend suggested the Throttle Position Sensor may be to blame so I replaced that. Problem solved but quite an expensive process to get to the solution.

Comment

Thanks Geoff. I have found that correct replacement components for the Ford DOHC engine are difficult to find and are always more expensive than for Pinto and V6 units. I have ordered the Webcon unit (£156 including carriage 😳) which will arrive tomorrow.

I will report back once it’s on the car.

Comment

Working...
            X