E10 fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E10 fuel

I have an 8 valve 2l DOHC EFI 1992 Ford engine installed in my Cabrio and have been experiencing some cutting out issues and I believe it to be the fuel system after various other checks.
    I have purchased new low and high pressure fuel pumps plus a new inline filter plus E10 proof fuel hoses.
    Does anyone know what damage will be done to the engine and other parts if I start to use E10 fuel

Re: E10 fuel

I run my Roadster on E5 with no problems so far, but I did have an insight into potential problems with E10 with my lawnmower this summer. It started cutting out every couple of minutes. Ended up stripping the carb down and found a sort of gritty jelly in there that was obviously blocking the jet. I suppose this had formed over the winter storage. Not particularly surprising I guess, but it was interesting that when I mentioned this in my local petrol station when buying fresh fuel, the lady said loads of people have told her the same story. I must admit to being sceptical about the scare stories surrounding bio content fuels before this experience.
    Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Just to add a bit more information. I work for a small british manufacturer of construction equipment (not many of us left!) and I can tell you that engine manufacturers are caution about the use of bio content fuels, even in diesel engines. In our case we use Yanmar engines and you would be surprised to see how cautious they are in their advice regarding use of these fuels.
      Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Use Esso Supreme 99, it’s zero ethanol.

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I have the same engine in my Cabrio and have only used E5 super unleaded for the last 7 years or so unless its not available. Granted it costs more but I rarely do much more than 2000 miles a year and the slightly improved economy offsets this a bit. As for performance improvement its very hard to tell.

Comment

Working...
          X