Fuel Pump Marina 1.8TC based Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Marina 1.8TC based Roadster

I plan to replace my mechanical SU fuel pump - it is still working but there seems to be only a limited amount of fuel in the filter when engine is idling (I suspect this may be starving the fuel bowls as my idle is a bit lumpy and idle speed decreases if standing for a few minutes) and lots of bubble are coming through the fuel filter so I think it is getting tired. I would like to fit a new electronic pump so could anybody please advise the best place to source same?

I think I need a pump with a pressure of 1.5 - 2.0 psi to avoid overcoming the float valves in the twin SU carbs. I wondered if there is a unit which fits in place of the existing SU pump and avoids the need for a blanking plate. I would be grateful for any advice on this subject.

Re: Fuel Pump Marina 1.8TC based Roadster

I f you switch to electronic you'l need to blank off existing pump location. If you're at all interested in staying with mechanical there is one on e bay item no 120035764981 IGNORE the fact it says for 1800 single carb as this pump suits all 1800 engines regardless

Comment

Message originally posted by: B Gadd
      Hi Simon' AS you have the 1800 set up, it is virtually identical to the M.G.B 1800 . there is a seperate electrical pump fitted just after the tank. in fact , it is a pusher type pump. Nowadays , the old electric pump complete with points that used to burn out at regular intervals, is now replaced with a simple eiectronic one. It is very reliable as I have done this mod, and have had no trouble..Make sure you fit near the tank outlet,it is not a lift pump and cannot suck up too far. Obviously, you need to block off the existing pump location,and run a 12v.feed from your ignition switch and you can always use the existing fuel lines. I bought my pump frum the local M.G centre in stroud. tel no, 01453 825164. for about ?40 ????? best of luck

Comment

Thank you both. I went with Alan's suggestion and bought the new mechanical pump from ebay. I figured the last one had lasted 30 years so why not keep it simple. Haven't got the new pump yet so can't report the result but will do so when fitted.

Comment

One reason for swapping to electric is that when the car is not used for a few months the fuel in the float chambers evaporates. To start the car it's necessary to refill these and it takes 20-30s of cranking to do it, which is enough to flatten some batteries to the point wher ethey won't actually start the car. With an electric pump the chambers can be refilled by pausing with ignition on for a while and then cranking. ?40 is a good price, but Strond is too far!

Comment

I HAD THIS PROBLEM AND FITTED A NEW FUEL PUMP AND NO BETTER I FOUND THAT AIR WAS BEEN SUCKED IN AT THE FUEL TANK OUTLET PIPE WHEN SORTED IT STOPPED THE AIR BUBBLES, BUT NOT THE FILTER ONLY 1/2 FULL SO I COILED (LUPPED) THE FUEL PIPE AND RAISED IT BEFORE THE FILTER AND NOW OK.

Comment

Hi Bob
              I plan to fit my new pump this weekend so am very interested in what you've said. Could you explain please what you mean by 'fuel tank outlet pipe'? Sorry I'm a bit thick! Also, before you changed your pump and repaired the other problems were there any symptoms in the running of your car and were these cured by your repairs? Thanks.

Comment

New mechanical pump now fitted - air bubbles have disappeared but filter is still not full as Bob experienced. I dont know if it should be! Idle seems steadier but cant test it properly as I\'ve put the car on a SORN for winter.

Comment

Working...
                X