Door bottom hits wing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door bottom hits wing.

My LWB Marina (2 litre O series)is unequal in this aspect.
    The offside door clears by 1 inch when opened at 90 degrees. The nearside door just scrapes the wing despite tilting the mounting bracket by the the headlamp and rehanging the door.
    Now I know these cars are not lazer cut and built by robots and mine was recently built from 15 year old parts, so :-
    Had the nearside wing warped ?
    Was the rear wing located wrong ?
    Was extra clearance for the exhaust silencer intended ?
    Or do they all turn out like this ?

Re: Door bottom hits wing.

Bob,

I had a similar problem, on mine both doors just touched the wings. Basically I think the rear wings are mounted too high.

It's not a problem on mine anymore since "re-shaping" the nearside front wing in a ditch and then fitting cycle wings instead.

Comment

You may find one of the wings has actually "warped" Fibreglass is not always the most stable of materials particularly if panels have been unfitted for many years and not stored well.

Robin

Comment

If it's like ours it's only the outer edge of the N/S wing that fouls the bottom of the door. I fitted a strut from the outer edge of the wing to the chassis to pull the edge of the wing down and it sems to have done the trick.

Comment

Further on to my above answer, when we built ours I had already sussed that there was a conflict between the N/S door and the wing from looking at other Marlins and modified the dimensions given in the build manual regarding the fitting of the wings.(fig 23) Where the wing is shown as sloping up from the rear of the door I made it parallel and 5mm lower. Also lowered the rear end of the back wing from 25mm above the chassis to 20mm below the top edge.
          If you look at almost every Roadster I've seen the N/S wing has a twist in it. I can only suspect that the origional mould was faulty and not corrected.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I like the look of that bracket fitted by Hugh. It is the twisted wing no doubt that is the problem as only the outer edge is catching.

Comment

Working...
            X