Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understood, thanks for the link

Comment

Rhysnolan, when I redid the wiring on my last Roadster I used DC's diagrams as a starting point but I wanted to replace the outdated 2 glass fuses with something more reliable. I would send you my amended diagram but it got deleted after I sold the car. DM me if you want to discuss.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks Jon, when I get to rewiring it is my intention to do away with those too. The diagrams are very helpful don't worry about trying to find more detail. Much of what I hope to do will be addressing any redundant circuits. Thanks for the DM offer.

Comment

Oh what joy! NOT. My car is outside my workplace sharing a car park which I pay for (3 per unit). My next door neighbour has a tyre shop and uses every spare one in sight. Yesterday when I went in he approached me to show me where one of his customers had driven or backed into the front of the Marlin, and snapped an indicator stalk and broken a lens. He has offered to pay, and so he shall, just leaving me to do all the work. I said his customer was very lucky to not have damaged the Cibie headlight. Ironically it took me not very minutes to discover what the indicator unit is and find one New Old Stock complete unit except the tube stalk, so I could now have a really nice one on one side and somewhat used on the other. I'll hold the new unit for the future but I now have a new lens.

Comment

But wait, there's more! Not only did I have a broken indicator, a closer look shows he hit the car hard enough to shift it backwards about a foot, AND the alloy valance on the inner side of the front wing is bent. Arriving home from a holiday in the sun to discover this has not made me happy.

Comment

Well the person who hit the car has paid out for repairs, so they are now almost complete, just need to refit the light bar. While that's off the car I'll thread new standard colour wiring back as far as an appropriate junction.
              I have spent the last 2 days pulling out the carpet which had been installed behind the vinyl over the tunnel, inner panels etc. What a mission, not only glued (sort of) but put in place before bolts etc. Even the earth strap had carpet under the washer and nut, as did seat belt bolts. Never mind , after about 12 hours work it's out, some smells are now eliminated as there was dump and mould.
              Can anyone tell me what the vital needs are in regards lights, etc. It seems to have the complete Marina loom, including handbrake light etc. For the future my thought is to have pretty much only what I must. Right now is a good time to run what wires are needed before retrimming the interior. Rear rain light needed? Reverse lights? V5C shows first reg as 1986 if that helps. TIA.

Comment

On that age I believe a rear fog is mandatory. Reversing light only a requirement from 2009 but most Roadsters seem to have them, nonetheless; I assume just because the wiring is already there. Handbrake warning a waste of time in my view. I have one on my current car but would get rid if I ever redo the wiring. Beyond that the marina loom is fairly basic - it's mainly a matter of getting rid of the miles of surplus cable and tidying up the behind dashboard wiring. Multiconnectors help.

Comment

All the carpet I removed was apparently attached with "No More Nails" or similar. Any ideas on how to remove it?

Comment

My guess would be it's Evostick or some similar contact adhesive. Most advice suggests using a heatgun until it's soft and scraping it away. Don't envy you that job!

Comment

Originally posted by jon_wilkinson View Post
                      My guess would be it's Evostick or some similar contact adhesive. Most advice suggests using a heatgun until it's soft and scraping it away. Don't envy you that job!
                      Thanks, but it wasn't Evilstink, much harder. I used the flap discs, several, and it's done. The shed is full of dust. It took about 10 hours all in and some parts are not done, the flat underside of the firewall. Decision is that I can't be arsed. Now I'll DA the alloy, edges are all trimmed back to match each other. For the next step it's sort the wiring in the back of the car, then try to put the dash wiring in some sort of sense.
                      I need to make this thing start soon.
                      The PAIR of calipers are away being rebuilt. Obviously that means I have one of the 2 that had been installed if anyone has a need.

Comment

Next question, for those running B series engines. While trying to disentangle the many kilograms of wire behind the dashboard, do folks retain the "anti run on device"? There are literally metres of the wiring for this behind the dash

Comment

My B series engine doesn't have this device. From what I recall it was a feature of later engines that were required to run leaner for emissions purposes.
                          I guess a trawl of the MGB owners website would reveal more info.

Comment

I just opened the box with my rebuilt calipers. Simply amazing. I can't recommend them highly enough. Pics to come, before and after. Classicar Automotive
                            Unit A Alderley road
                            Chelford
                            Cheshire
                            SK11 9AP

tel 01625860910​

How do I post before and after?
                            Last edited by rhysnolan; 08-12-23, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I am stalled! I really had hoped that the Marlin would be an interim, easy get it going while I got some open air motoring. The 1934 Morgan really needs the time spending to get on the road, so Marlin Rouge will have a shelf built over it while I spend the little time and enthusiasm on the Morgan.(and stop messing with model boats)

Comment

Working...
                              X