No announcement yet.

Roadster LWB Marina 1.8 TC air filters and preventing carbs from over heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster LWB Marina 1.8 TC air filters and preventing carbs from over heating

Whilst I am preparing to get my roadster back on the road after many years garaged, I thought I would research more about fitting air filters. My car has twin 1 3/4 SU HF6 carbs off a TR7 (fitted by the original builder because the original Marina carbs were quite worn), full depth insulating spacer blocks and an aluminium heat shield. The heat shield and full depth blocks were adeded by me to help prevent juddering when the car was caught in traffic jams! The problem now is that there just isn't enough room for air filters (I made some basic miniature foam ones with filter holders before adding heat shield and carb spacer blocks, but they no longer fit and I doubt they helped air flow due to such a small surface area) but due to the fact that I just want to pootle around in it in rural Norfolk without the need for any major engine rebuilds in the future, I think it is about time I looked at getting air filters.

I have 3 main questions:
    1) What do other people do? Is there a simple solution that requires either zero or only slight bonnet/side panel mods? In your gallery there is nothing which shows everyone's solutions to this problem.
    2) Which types of filters do most people use? I have noticed some Lynx Ramflo filters from Australia which are more rounded and can also be offset to right or upwards but at £72 + delivery from UK supplier each, they seem very expensive but look cool. I also wondered about carb trumpets with foam filter socks. Not as pretty though.
    3) To ensure good airflow into the carbs and to also prevent build up of heat around the carbs what else can be done? I have already added a small Peugeot 206 bonnet scoop to help.

Any pics, ideas or advice would be really useful.

Attached Files

Hi, to prevent my carb getting too hot in traffic jams, I got a 3" blower, the type used to vent inboard motors on speed boats, from ebay for about £15 and some 3" flexible ducting and routed it under the carb. The blower fitted neatly behind the front number plate, out of site. I just switch it on in traffic and cool air is blown up to the carb. Never had a problem since then.

Comment

Thanks Gareth, will definitely investigate that idea to blow cooler air over the carbs.

Comment

Just been thinking about your solution Gareth... Do you have spacer blocks for your carbs? And do you have air filters?

Comment

In 14 years of owning 2 Marlins I have never fitted an airfilter.

The first Marlin was restricted in height and didn't want to fit a power bulge so cut the handle off a tea strainer and fitted that. 6 years of running no problems.

The second and latest fitted a single carb like yours and had the luxury of a bit of room so got onto Burlen (SU suppliers) and they supplied a gauze trumpet. Again no filter.

Driven for past 6 years, no problems.

So my take would be a tea strainer for the left hand one and a trumpet from Burlen for the right hand one.

No doubt there are people who say you must have filters but it's not always convenient and the restricted space ends up compromising the air flow and hence power

Hopefully this helps.

Adrian

Comment

It's a single carb set up, and there's a spacer and air filter.
            I've got panels around the radiator so all the air goes through the radiator and none around the sides, and an electric fan on the front of the rad which I tend to leave permanently on. And there's the original metal bladed fan on the water pump. Plus the blower!
            I've just come back from Yorkshire, 2 up, loaded with luggage, in that heat the other day, and no problems at all!

Comment

Picture of latest setup

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I took my lead from David Vizards book

Comment

You've got plenty of room in there to create your own air box with a filter at the back of the engine bay
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Some great advice and pictures from Adrian (listerjp2) and Gareth, many thanks. I will look at Burlen and the Tea strainer idea too. Looking at the image from the Dave Vizard book, it is a shame no one does a very flat curved sided ram with mesh filter, shown in image 11 as it has the best air flow of the lot.

Comment

Hiya mine is the very flat trumpet as shown in picture below but this is the limit to that supplied by Burlen

Comment

Hers a very untidy under bonnet shot of my pervious Marlin with tea strainer

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                          You've got plenty of room in there to create your own air box with a filter at the back of the engine bay
                          Thanks AndyF, I had given that some thought too, but the amount of room for the connection to the left hand carb is very shallow with bonnet on, so was looking to see if there was something else I could do.

Comment

[QUOTE=listerjp2;n116377]Hiya mine is the very flat trumpet as shown in picture below but this is the limit to that supplied by Burlen

That is really useful to see, thanks. I wonder if the trumpet could be shortened for the LHS carb and re welded? Or would they supply the trumpet unattached to the base plate... Hmmm?

Comment

[QUOTE=redmonty;n116382]
                              Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                              Hiya mine is the very flat trumpet as shown in picture below but this is the limit to that supplied by Burlen

That is really useful to see, thanks. I wonder if the trumpet could be shortened for the LHS carb and re welded? Or would they supply the trumpet unattached to the base plate... Hmmm?

Hadn't thought of that option, would need to be TIG welded as they are aluminium.

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                              X