Exhaust leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust leak

I'm having a problem sealing my exhaust where it joins onto the manifold. It's a 1275 A series engine with the manifold just under the carb. Should there be any sort of gasket or saling ring between the two. I've tried all sorts of pastes but I can't get a good reliable seal.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Exhaust leak

In my youth when I had a Marina I used Holts exhaust sealant compound and a ring of scrunched up aluminium foil. It worked a treat.

If you can, brace the exhaust to the engine or gear box with a stay, the movement of the engine has a habit if snapping the cast iron exhaust manifold, where the joining clamp fits.

Comment

A few years back I fitted a small length of stainless flexible to mine to take up the movement (there was someone selling them at Stoneleigh but I can't remember their name)

Comment

Gotta agree with Don. When I had the 1275 fitted it had a bracket attached between the downpipe and the bellhousing. I seem to remember that the exhaust had to be attached securely to the manifold before the rest was attached to the car or it was almost impossible to get a good seal. Liberal amounts of Gun Gum were used too.

Comment

Thanks guys, I had a go at it this morning and touch would, it seems a lot better now

Comment

Working...
          X