Triumph Trunnion Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph Trunnion Trouble

Been having a really hard time removing the bolt through a front trunnion on the Marlin this afternoon. (Mark 1 Triumph based car)

All of the other front suspension bits came apart fine, but in this one's case, the nut came off and the bolt spins - and that's it...

Oils, hammering, moderate heat, prising, pressing - all got nowhere.

I strongly suspect that the bolt has become fused with the steel collar inside the trunnion bushing- and is turning that collar withing the bushing as it turns.

So - what to do? Is cutting both protruding ends of the bolt the only option? I don't have access to an angle grinder or anything like that, unfortunately. Any other ideas for how to move ahead?

Any helps greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ty

Re: Triumph Trunnion Trouble

Hi Ty, As you are going to ruin the bolt anyway try giving it a big one with the hammer. But probably you will have to cut the bolt.Its easier if you unbolt the shock absorber and swing the wishbone down,then rest it on a block of wood. Even better take the upright off the car but I know you have limited facilities. You have to use a hacksaw as an angle grinder wont go and would do too much damage. You will have to be careful not to saw into the wishbone or the trunnion and you will have to cut both sides.When you reassemble the new bolt use some copper slip on the sleeve.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Having read that I should explain you cut between the wishbone and the trunnion drive a flat screwdriver into the gap to give as much room as possible and saw down the gap.Or give me a phone call. Ben
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben! I've got a set of replacement trunnions as well, so if they get a bit messed up, it's not the end of the world. neverthtless, I'm going to put the project on hold for a few weeks, as I'm going away for the summer hols - perk of being a teacher...

Taking trains and other surface transport from London to Mongolia and beyond- should be cool. Flying home from Singapore... Will be checking out the total solar eclipse in Siberia on Aug 1, too.

Back just before school starts, and will sort out those trunnions then!

Comment

Working...
        X