Front Tie Rod Bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Tie Rod Bushes

Hi to all. I have a 1993 Marlin Roadster based on a Marina/Ital Donor, running 1400cc A Series Minisport Engine. It has been off the road for a year...

I need to replace the front bushes on the end of the Tie Rods (underneath either side of the numberplate at the front) sorry if Tie Rods is incorrect. Any ideas where to get some ? I have checked superflex but they only seem to list Morris Minor ones. I also need to bleed down the clutch at i have replaced the slave, refitted the gearbox but cannot get pressure on the pedal, any ideas, the gearbox was removed as the pivot arm had disclocated off the ball joint so the clutch would not engage (simple now I took it out)

I have since snapped the manifold off refitting the exhaust (now replaced) so just need to sort the bushes , stop the down pipe from blowing at the manifold (x2) and get the bushes replaced as well as get pressure on the pedal , all this would make me a very happy man.

Would appreciate your assistance

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Front Tie Rod Bushes

Brian
    Part no for the bushes from Superflex is SPF0669, 4 needed @£3.14 each.
    Make sure the bleed nipple is uppermost on the slave cylinder otherwise you can get an air lock.A gunson eezibleed or similair can be of help in forcing the fluid through,otherwise its probable that master cylinder seals are in need of replacement.
    Is your manifold the twin exit cast iron type as i have a spare one surplus to any requirements

Comment

Thanks Alan, I shall order from Superflex asap. Yes my manifold is the twin exit type but fotunately have managed to get my hands on a recon on from an LCB manufacturer that just has a load in a pile in the corner of the workshop. They charged me £25 but it was nicely shot blasted and painted so I did not mind too much !

Regarding the clutch bleed, when I first got the Marlin it had a tube from the bleed nipple to another bleed nipple mounted on the cylinder head, I assume this was there to overcome the airlock issue... i removed when replacing the hoses and was bleeding from the slave.

I did manage to get a spare Marina hose off ebay the other day so I think it very likely I will be replacing the top hose. If this does not work I could so with some assistance on the master seals.

Comment

I have never had any problem bleeding Marina clutch cylinders, usually I just put a tube on the nipple with the end in a jar and crack the nipple open, and let it drain through, when it stops bubbling nip it up.

As for the bushes, I don't like the superflex ones, they don't last. The last ones I had just went hard and cracked up, any idea if the old rubber ones are still available?

Comment

Brian

You need to make sure the slave cylinder is turned so that the bleed nipple is uppermost. The last time I bled a Marina clutch I used a pressure bleeding system - very easy (arround 5 mins in the car park at work when I lost all the fluid due to a leek!)

Before purchasing the pressure bleeding system I found it was necessary to have an assistant and follow the following sequence:

Open bleed nipple
          Assistant presses the pedal down slowly
          Assistant keeps pedal pressed
          Close bleed nipple
          Assistant releases pedal

Repeat sequence until all air removed.

Finally I had a lot of problems with fluid loss, it all began when I replaced the slave cylinder seals, the kit contained a new piston with a fitted seal. Some months later after replacing every other part in the clutch system. I replaced the slave cylinder on dismantling the old one I found the seal kit I replaced was supplied with a piston with the seal fitted upside down!

Hope this helps

Nick

Comment

Brian

You need to make sure the slave cylinder is turned so that the bleed nipple is uppermost. The last time I bled a Marina clutch I used a pressure bleeding system - very easy (arround 5 mins in the car park at work when I lost all the fluid due to a leek!)

Before purchasing the pressure bleeding system I found it was necessary to have an assistant and follow the following sequence:

Open bleed nipple
            Assistant presses the pedal down slowly
            Assistant keeps pedal pressed
            Close bleed nipple
            Assistant releases pedal

Repeat sequence until all air removed.

Finally I had a lot of problems with fluid loss, it all began when I replaced the slave cylinder seals, the kit contained a new piston with a fitted seal. Some months later after replacing every other part in the clutch system. I replaced the slave cylinder on dismantling the old one I found the seal kit I replaced was supplied with a piston with the seal fitted upside down!

Hope this helps

Nick

Comment

Thanks for all of your help. I enlisted the help of my brother on this one and the Easi-Bleed Kit from my neighbour and the front tyre pressure from my Marlin. All went well and I had a good solid clutch pedal (for the first time in about 18 months) started the car, still no gears, then the lever popped off the ball again, seriously I nearly lost the will to live. This is why i took the gearbox out ! Any ideas ?

Comment

Brian
                Sorry to hear that. Was the spring steel retainer in place on the arm when you put all back together? This is the bit that clips behind the fulcrum ball to prevent the arm from being displaced.
                Looks like box out again unless you can 'jiggle' the arm into position though i think that's unlikely as you will be working against the clutch pressure plate.Sooooory!

Comment

Have you taken the clutch pressure plate off the flywheel? It could be that over time the clutch plate has stuck to the flywheel. I have had this happen a few times. How I solved this was to:

1) get the driving wheels just off the ground on a good strong secure pair of axle stands and chock the fronts.
                  2) Warm the engine up to proper operating temperature.
                  3) engage gear.
                  4) Press the clutch down and apply the foot brake

You might need to apply the brake a few times but you will know when it frees as it normally goes with a bang. just make sure the vehicle is securely on the axle stands, the fronts are well chocked and you have enough room around the car should something go wrong

Comment

Hi Brian,
                    Have you thought about joining The Club ?
                    This Forum is supported by the Club and its Members
                    For just £15 at Stoneleigh you can join us and get access to the Clubs Tech Reps, discount on parts and insurance as well as the A5 colour bi monthly magazine, Pitstop.
                    OR you can join on line by clicking on Membership on the home page of this website.
                    Do give it some thought we are a sociable lot

Comment

Working...
                    X