• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new owner new problems?

just a thought does the mgb box not fit loads on ebay

Comment

too late engine is out and brought a pinto and 5 speed gearbox and prop. (old engine on ebay) picking it up saturday. i am going to cut the mounts off the chassis as it appears they arent in the right place for the pinto can anyone confirm!!

Comment

I have fitted a 2lt Pinto and type 9 box to my Roadster in 2007, if you look at my details on the forum for more info on how I got on. The Pinto mounts fit in the same position as the 1800 B series engine, but you need to remove the B series mounts from the chassis and also remove the extra marina mounts (further forward)for the 1300 Marina engine from the chassis and use them for your pinto engine. you weld the removed 1300 mount in the same position as the old removed B series mounts, but you will need to weld a packing plate behind/between the mount and the chassis. It would be best to join the g/box to the engine and slip it in to the car before you start welding to give you a better idea of what else might need doing. As the fromt fan needs to miss the sterring rack, the g/box rear bell housing need to miss the cars bulk head, also the height under the bonnet for clearance and if fitting a air filter, and the sump to ground clearance. I fitted a sump from a capri as it is shallower then Seirra sump.
        Good luck and a worth the effort. Join the club for all the benefits of the club and if you at stoneleigh at the kit car show to the Marlins with Pinto engines fitted.

Comment

seems like the sensible route to me as bob has already advised measure everything twice before waving the magic stick to it.

Comment

oh forgot to metion jw engineering in barnehurst do props made to measure and balanced i think around a hundred notes but dont quote me on that they are on the corner of lyndhurst road and barnehurst road best of luck see you at stoneleigh?

Comment

thanks greg for the info
              i picked up the capri engine and box and have it trail fitted already.i am makeing some new mounts for the chassis this evening (made paper ones weekend and now need to make in steel). i think jw has closed down? anyway i have made props before and can make one from the rear half of the capri prop. you might like to know a hot rodders trick when making a prop. when welded and fitted attach 3 jubalie clips lose enought to turn but tigh enought not to slip spin up the prop till all vibration is lost and then tighten up the jubalie clips and it should be in balance.
              anyway out to the garage tonight to get a crack om i want it on the road by mid may.

Comment

Working...
              X