YKC Julietta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YKC Julietta

Anybody want to read a sob story? No- too bad, here comes one.Purchased a rolling chassis for above before Don Burt retired from person who lost enthusiasm. Couldn't do anything with it for a while but when wanted to start YKC had been sold to Aquila!!!! Had afew meetings with Aquila and ordered stuff. Two years have passed and all I have are the grp body panels and one steel door. Now have other door being made. From henceforth my name will appear with monotonous regularity in the goods wanted ads as I have renewed enthusiasm to complete the build. I have applied for membership of the club and would greatly appreciate help from anyone with parts available or sketches of components that I can fabricate. Fuel tank in fuel injected form will be the first item. Sorry to be long winded. Hoping to meet some of you in the near future.

Re: YKC Julietta

Hi Brian, if yiu haven.t already got one, look at the thread below on manuals and get a copy of the Roadster manual, especially the YKC version. If you get stuck come back as I have a hard copy you can borrow but I will need a £1m deposit until you send it back.

Re your question about fuel tank, whatever you do, make sure you end up with either internal baffles or better still a swirl pot. It's not very nice to accelerate out of a tight corner to find the engine cutting out because all of the remaing petrol has rushed to one end of the tank

Comment

Hi Brian. As your car when finished will be IVA tested, you need to read the requirements of tanks etc in the paperwork. At the back of my mind I think something has been altered for the test but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

HI Brian - I am in a similar position but building the Romero. I have a spare manual (which is rubbish) and a slightly better one from Don Burt himself (which I can photocopy for you when I go back to work). I also have a lot of Don's build photos which I will happily share.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Cameron. It's good to know I'm not alone in this world! Would greatly appreciate the paperwork and photos that you have. At what stage is your build? My address is
          The Lodge, Seckford Almshouses, Woodbridge, Suffolk IP12 4NB. Thanks in anticipation.I'm sure we will be communicating further.

Comment

Hi Brian, I dont know exactly what the differences are beteen the two cars apart from the running boards wheel arches, adn I have seen a very nice julietta at stoneligh on the club stand.
            I am currently plumbing in the fuel pipes. Didnt get a tank with baffles so will be using a swirl pot then a high pressure pump to the Ford 2.0 DOHC I4. Am using the MT75 box. Prop is about to be ordered from Dave Mac. I have fitted the rear body tub tentatively and the front engine bay sides, screen surround and clamp and the scuttle. Bonnet lines up ok but will need a bit of fettling. I have some pics on flikr http://www.flickr.com/photos/37267850@N08/
            Will try and burn a cd of the photos I have (or get tehm all on flikr) and will photocopy the manual (such as it is) when I go back to work in a fortnight. If you need anything urgently I can always scan a few pages and email it to you.
            HTH

Comment

Hi Cameron. Thanks for your reply, have seen pictures you have posted. I think that it would be a more appropriate medium to communicate via e-mails. Mine is:[email protected]. I have numerous things to ask as I am a novice at this game!

Comment

Hi guys. Does the Julietta have removable engine bay sides i.e. hinged to the bonnet. If not I would give some serious consideration to modifying the design so that you can. I built a YKC Sierra Roadster with the fuel injected 2.0 DOHC and MT75 and it is such a tight squeeze to do any work on anything in the engine bay. I have to remove the whole wing assembly if I need to remove the engine bay sides - a real pain in the *****

Comment

Hi Keith - no it doesnt - they are one piece and its certainly a mod I intend to carry out once I get a bit further along. Whats the best way to secure the top half of the side panel to the bulkhead though as it goes under the screen clamp?

Comment

The Cabrio has it hinged to the bonnet top (ref. Section 4.6 of the Cabrio build manual) Alternatively I guess you could make the sides removable in their own right. Perhaps you could pop rivet a length of fairly thick aluminium along the top and bottom edges to make a lip that things can align to.

Best of luck with it

Comment

Sorry - I wasn't thinking - if you don't fancy downloading the Cabrio manual (see thread below on manuals) email me (keithhowell (at) tesco.net) your address and I will send you a photocopy of that section but be quick as I am about to move home and I suspect my PC will be off the air for several days.

Comment

Hi Keith - good luck with the move! If I can quickly catch you before you go off-line...the bonnet is one piece and hinges up from the back, therefore to hinge the bonnet sides woudl be awkward, they would have to be attached to the lower half of the cut-piece I suspect. Maybe a couple of dzuz fasteners and make it removable?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Just goes to show how unobservant I have been - never realised the bonnet fitted that way on a Julietta - very posh. I guess you will have to do something like assemble the engine side and the inner and outer wing to get the line. Cut the engine side and then extend the bottom piece by adding a flange that the top piece will fit to. Does that make sense. It means assembling and disassembling but should be worht it in the long run

Comment

makes perfect sense! now for those tin snips!!!

Comment

Cameron. Any chance of a dimensioned sketch of bonnet hinges? Unable to get kit parts from Aquila so need to fabricate as much as possible. Can see them on your picture.

Comment

Working...
                              X