Steering Column Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Column Play

There seems to be a lot of play in my steering column section between the wheel and the rubber joint. Presumably this is just wear, but it does make it a bit uncomfortable on bumpy roads making the steering wheel jump about.
    Does the standard Marina column fit in here or does it have to be shortened? In the absence of finding a new part it is possible to rectify the play and if so does the column have to be removed?
    Many thanks in advance.

Re: Steering Column Play

Hi Chris, I had this problem and it was rectified by replacing the Nylon collar, the felt bush and the Steering Universal Joint from a Triumph 2000. The lower end of the column was lengthened by Marlin when you picked up your kit. I doubt if that is the reason for the play you describe. I hope this helps. Regards Adrian

Comment

Yes the upper part of the steering does have to be taken off but again this is not a big job. John Brice had the same problem and he put tape around his column to pack it out and take up the play. It can, in some cases, lead to MOT failure if there is to much play. Adrian

Comment

The steering column bearings are felt bushes and a nylon collar at the top. I wrapped the outside of the bushes with a turn or two of insulating tape to take up the wear, forcing them to contract when they are pushed back into the column outer. Seemed to work.

Comment

Pinched from the MMOC website.

The top steering column bush is the same as a real Mini so they are available new. Was part no. 31G120 superceded by FAM2406 (according to my Mk1 Marina parts manual).

Also available at http://www.minisport.com/acatalog/info_FAM2406.html although Mini-Spares looks cheaper!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll have me some new bushes.

Comment

minispares.com were cheapest, assume the Mini felt bush is the same too else I can pad it as Don suggested...

GSV1127 - STEERING COLUMN LOWER FELT BUSH TO 1985 £2.58
              GSV1095 - STEERING COLUMN UPPER BUSH GENUINE,ALL £3.35

Comment

There the ones.

Comment

hi criss theres a lower felt bush on fleabay 99p

Comment

Working...
                  X