YKC adjustable top wishbones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YKC adjustable top wishbones.

Has anyone got these fitted? James Dresch Berlinetta owner in Sweden would like some details to be able to manufacture a pair. Any help please?

Re: YKC adjustable top wishbones.

My Berli has a Cortina Mk III front sub-frame.I fitted a pair of YKC wishbones in 2001. They were bought form YKC - very expensive at £246.75!
    They fit the standard Cortina upper wishbone spindle but I needed an extra two thrust washers to prevent the wishbones being pulled in under stress. The outer point has a solid threaded sleeve welded through the wishbone and I think I heard that the adjustable ball joint, fitted to this, is from a Transit track rod end, shortened a bit. Don't quote me on that one though. I have found the handling better as more of the tyre tread is on the road with the vastly reduced negative camber. I found that my front wheels were always locking up due to the front camber and lack of rubber on the road with the old wishbones. This with 205 tyres at 18 psi!. I now run at 20psi with very good braking. The powder coating seems to have been of a very high standard as it still looks good after nearly ten years. I'm working on the brakes within the next month so will take photos/measurements then if you want me to. The assembly is sealed so I cannot give an idea of the steel tube wall thickness but they are heavy so it could be as much as 5 or 6 mm.
    I think that despite the expense it was a worthwhile mod!
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Thanks Dane I was almost certain that you had these wishbones.I talked James through everything, but photos and a few dims would be great. I am sure that he will see this on here, and come on himself. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Hi,
        Thank you Danny for your assistance. Dane (isn´t that short for Danish?)if you could take a few pictures and measurements when working on your brakes I would be most grateful. You could either put them onto the Forum or send them to me at: james.dresch(at)hotmail.com
        Thanks

Comment

Wilco. I'll try to get photos etc done this W/E.

Comment

If James is going to make a pair then would he be interested in producing more for sale?

Comment

Same thought crossed my mine Clive. I'd be interested.

Comment

Oops, I meant mind.

Comment

I would be interested in a pair , or a number of pairs, or a drawing or a pattern.

Comment

If anyone has a pattern or dims plan then my brother can produce these no problem at all, infact anything really for a Marlin both in steel or s/steel

Comment

Hi Guys. I took photos of the wishbone today and made many measurements. I'll prepare a drawing showing the various dimensions which I shall send to James and Danny. I wonder if the wishbone is still on copyright/patent to YKC (or their latset guise?)
                      Anyway, I enclose a photo as a taster of things to come.
                      I'm hoping that I will complete the drawing using Turbocad but I can export in most formats...I just need a bit of time!
                      Cheers.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thankyou Dane, I appreciate your help with this.

Comment

Thanks Dane for the photos.
                          It seems as if my request stirred a sleeping bear. As several of us are interested I think it would be a good idea if you spoke to your brother Lee. I can almost certainly manufacture these wishbones if I get the measurements but they will be heavy and freight costs from Sweden are not cheap. The first unit is always the most expensive so in the interest of "mass production" if your brother is prepared to make some at a reasonable price I will certainly join the queue.

Comment

Yes please me to, its a brilliant idea. I'll join the queue. It looks as if Lee's brother maybe busy.

Comment

Me too ! I'll have to wait for a Pom visitor with lots of spare baggage allowance but with the great Aus $/UK pound exchange rate it would be worth it !!

Comment

Working...
                              X