YKC adjustable top wishbones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: YKC adjustable top wishbones.

A few photos and a couple of drawings have been sent with a few notes to James.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Dane, I got the photos and the drawings tonight, and I have to say that you have done an excellent job. Thank you for the time and effort that you have willingly put into this. This really is a good example of what a club and members are all about. It makes it all worth while. Now we shall set about getting these fabricated.

Comment

Many thanks Dane for the fantastic photos and diagrams, awesome. Lee, we now have really plans with dimensions to make manufacturing of the wishbones possible. Its time for you to have a word with your brother.

Comment

Hi James, how is the hardtop?

I have a pair of YKC top arms fitted and I was also told the ball joint is Transit.

After obtaining the correct geometry adjustment and driving on the road I heard a [another] noise. After an inspection I noticed the thread of the ball joint had made contact with the suspension cross member on bump, mainly on the near side. The cross member is now slightly indented. I accordingly shortened the thread so there is now no visible thread protuding from the top arm. I am no longer aware of the noise or is it I am not driving quickly enough?

Why this happened I don't know. When made possibly the dimensions did not comply with the designers sizes? I have all new suspension bushes and new suspension springs all round and all from YKC. My bump stops are in good condition. Were my top arms made on a Friday afternoon?

Good luck

Roger

Comment

Hi Roger,
            I noticed the protruding thread snag when fitting the wishbones. I think that the ball joint (which is part of the Transit track control arm) was fitted as it comes from the manufacturer. I have seen a few firms that supply the item - rally design being one. Once I had set my camber angle I too shortened the threads by about 10mm. This allowd no contact with the chassis although I have about 4mm protruding.
            The upper Cortina bump stop is now superfluous as the new wishbone goes nowhere near it! The Cortina upper wishbone was a very lumpy bit of kit which allowed contact at extreme angles. You may need to watch out for the cut off end of the ball joint contacting the spring on rebound. I padded one ring of my old springs with heater hose. The new springs do not allow the same movement so there is no contact possible.
            I find that with the Burton supplied, two inch shorter, front Cortina springs I have no interference from the wishbone and chassis plus the wishbone is about level.
            Handling and braking were greatly improved by the modification.
            Cheers for now!
            Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
            X