• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many V8's ?

I think you could say less than 40 Cabrios

Comment

Many thanks for the 34deg strobe tip. Not heard about that before. RPI suggest finding a slight uphill section and advancing the dizzy on V8 engines until the engine just starts "pinking" then to back it off a bit. Still waiting for pipe connectors to complete installation of my dual servo. Will then check the dizzy free movement and try your method. Peter.

Originally posted by HunterV8Spain View Post
      Wow! 26mpg - and I assume more bhp/torque as well, no wonder carbureted cars are on the decline/extinct!! A bit of advice, don't worry about what the initial timing is - the engine isn't working at these revs. Far more important is the maximum timing, which you should check using a strobe light with the facility to dial in the 34 degrees you want for your engine. (Or without this option mark the pulley at the 34º point but the dial in type is MUCH easier plus more accurate). Disconnect and plug the vacuum pipe then have a friend momentarily rev the engine to say 3500rpm whilst aiming the strobe at the TDC mark on the timing pulley. You need to see a maximum of 34º, including any oscillation, once it has stopped advancing (you may need to rev higher to achieve this). You will probably find that your initial timing is now anywhere between 3 and 9º, don’t worry – your timing is now bang on where the engine needs it most. The guaranteed result will be even better economy power and torque, try it, you will be surprised, I was!! You should also find that the hesitation has gone. Don’t leave that job of checking the free movement of the mechanical advance – you will very often find that a bit of dirt or lack of lubrication is not letting it work smoothly. Happy Marlin motoring! Who needs a radio when you have a V8 under the bonnet?

Comment

Hi Peter,
        Remember that of course not all dizzy’s are the same and therefore each model/year type will have different amounts of maximum centrifugal advance built into them. Also even given checking 10 individual examples of the exact same model of dizzy you would find a slight discrepancy between them, add to this the wear factor for your own particular dizzy and you can then understand how futile the INITIAL timing is – it is only the INITIAL, and should be set for performance/economy at the optimum maximum advance known for that engine. Luckily for us the Rover V8 is well understood and unless it has had VERY MAJOR surgery to the combustion chambers would be the following. In the case of the 3.9 its 34 º and the 3.5 is 36º. The deviation from this number of only 1º when your motor is spinning at 3500 rpm will cost you power and fuel. A challenge to you all – first set your static/idle/initial timing advance to what you believe is correct for your motor. Now strobe it as indicated in my previous message, I bet hardly anyone has 34ºat 3000 to 4500 (or when the dizzy finaly stops advancing). Another thing, if your dizzy was built for a Range Rover it will still be advancing at 4000 rpm which is no good at all – you want the whole lot “IN” by say 2750 to 3250rpm given the very low power to weight ratio of a Marlin (the engine can pick up it’s skirts and run quicker because it’s not carting around a couple of tons.)
        Much improved power AND economy are available to you. One more very important point for those with a V8 Marlin where cooling is an issue - a retarded maximum ignition advance produces A LOT OF HEAT!!
        Last edited by HunterV8Spain; 13-02-12, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X