Engine Cut Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Cut Out

I am experiencing a problem with my car.

The engine is a 1.8 Zetec with fuel injection and an Omex 600 ECU. also installed is LPG. The LPG system takes sensor readings from the ECU so it shares the various sensors however the LPG has its own injectors.

On petrol the engine almost cuts out after about a half mile but I have always been able to get home on what feels like 2 cylinders, all plugs are burning correctly and all are the same. In desperation I have checked the fuel supply side and fitted a new Sytec high flow filter element and another after the pump before the fuel rail. A while ago I fitted new plugs and leads.

On LPG the car appears to behave itself.

My thinking is the only device not being shared are the petrol injectors, these all appear to be OK but as a precaution I have sent them away for checking and cleaning if necessary.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Roger

Re: Engine Cut Out

Have you by any chance recently replaced the fuel cap and if so, can it breath? If the tank has no way to allow air in then eventually (in my experience about 2miles) the vacuum created by sucking petrol out will be greater than the pumping ability of the pump and the consequence is petrol starvation. If you then sit for say 10 mins and air finds its way in somehow, you can start the engine and drive for another 2 miles before the same happens. This OK to pop down to the paper shops but a real pain if you need to go any further!!

Seriously, there was a long thread about this problem I think about 2 years ago but I can't find it - anyone else remember who raised it?

All the best

Keith

Comment

Hi Keith,
      Thanks for this. I was always taught to check the easy things first and this is the only thing I have not checked!!!!! Had a quick look before replying and cannot find a breather hole on my Mona cap but next time it happens I will release the cap.
      Roger

Comment

Hi Roger,

I came across this when I was trawling for something else

One-stop shop for Kit Car and Classic Car Parts, Kit Car repairs and painting. Tools and Accessories for the Kit Car and Classic Car Enthusiast.

It may just be what you want

Comment

Working...
        X