Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

Originally posted by danny.nelson View Post
    Not an official test of course that would prove difficult, but a trained set of eyes looking at that side of things (maybe even more relevant if you intend to drive your car to the IVA testing station.) Just a thought as you focus on meeting the IVA requirements. Anyway it was just something that came up in conversation with Mike last night. Well done Mike ,and I am sure that your build will indeed help others.
    Just in case other builders are reading this thread, you can have an 'official' MOT test prior to the IVA examination. The MOT station will test it unregistered and will record it with the chassis (VIN) number. In my case, the MOT test before my SVA highlighted play in two new suspension ball joints that I had not noticed myself (faulty parts). These were frantically changed in the few days leading up to my SVA. After my SVA pass I returned to the MOT test station to pick up my MOT pass as well (still on the chassis number). At registration the DVLA re-issued my MOT certificate with the new age related plate number. (this wasn't expected and was a nice surprise!)
    The only downside of this approach is you will then need to get an annual MOT every year following registration whereas with Mike's approach, he may get away with not needing an MOT until the cars third anniversary. Personally I believe that the inconvenience of annual MOT's is outweighed by the benefits and probably not a bad thing to do anyway as most things shake down (or loose!) in the first few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan.c View Post
      I think Mike needs to build another one as I am going to miss my daily dose of drama and suspense. Eastenders could learn a thing or two about cliff hangers !!.
      What makes you think Mike has no upgrades already planned!!

Comment

The offending nuts!

IMG_5336[1].jpg

Its clear to see the outer cable is pulling through the lock nuts and sloughing up the black outer sleeve.

I tried tightening a jubilee clip around the nut but it did not work: so there was no way we could have fixed this at the test station.
        The usual trick I believe is to add a piece of rubber hose behind the nuts and then jubilee clip it tight to the outer casing to stop the nuts sliding back: but my examiner was not going to accept this - and I have no complaints about that.

My current thoughts are to make two new adjusters using M12 x 50mm stainless bolts drilled down the centre with a standard nut and washer, located at the brake disc end. This will be much easier to access than the current nylon nuts which are obstructed by the exhaust and the prop shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan.c View Post
          I think Mike needs to build another one as I am going to miss my daily dose of drama and suspense.

Mike's wife has rather a different view! " Never, ever again", and "divorce" were mentioned in the same sentence!
          Last edited by Mike; 08-11-13, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Mike

It might be worth speaking to rally design or some of the other motorsport guys with experience of Sierra, I know the handbrake efficiency has always been a problem on the rear disc based Sierras, so it may be that someone has all ready produced an off the shelf solution to the problem. Worth a try to save reinventing the wheel.

John

Comment

Originally posted by cabrioman View Post
              Mike

It might be worth speaking to rally design or some of the other motorsport guys with experience of Sierra, I know the handbrake efficiency has always been a problem on the rear disc based Sierras, so it may be that someone has all ready produced an off the shelf solution to the problem. Worth a try to save reinventing the wheel.

John

Thaks John - I'll give them a try.

The standard Sierra cable adjuster design is really poor, and mechanically applying the pads on a disc sytem is never going to be good as they require so much more force than a drum brake to work efficiently.

Comment

Hi Mike,
                it might be worth looking at this thread....

just a thought....

...peter

Comment

Afraid to say that Sierra calipers follow the same problem as Toyota MR2 and MGF calipers in my experience. All work in a very similar way and the auto adjuster mechanism can be a puzzle.
                  Understanding how they work can be a great help.
                  IMHO most garage mechanics dont know. and at MOT time suggest fitting new handbrake cables etc. The problem lies inside the caliper, easy to resolve, but garage mechanics will prefer to swap the caliper rather than strip it down.
                  Many of the suggestions for winding the piston out are a temporary measure at best..
                  Last edited by stevejgreen; 08-11-13, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Mike, have you spoken to Kit Spares (GB sportscars) they are Sierra people

Rgds DC

Comment

Handbrake Cable

Part of the reason my car has taken so long to build is that I do like to keep improving known faults.
                      My handbrake cable adjusting nylon nut is apparently quite a common failing item, so I have done a little research on other possible options.

This looks to be an interesting option, eliminating the poor nyloc nut on the outer cable for adjustment, and is replaced by two proper steel threaded adjusters:

The cross 'bolt' could easily be attached by simple U clamp around the centre to the standard Sierra hand brake arm, and the rest then is standard Sierra arrangement. Seems to me to have a lot oif merit?

Can anyone see any drawbacks?

Comment

Hi Mike, have you tried Speedy Cables? You can design your own cable on their website. Not actually used it but was thinking about doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
                          Hi Mike, have you tried Speedy Cables? You can design your own cable on their website. Not actually used it but was thinking about doing so.
                          Hi Scott

Yes, I have used Speedycables before, but I felt they were a tad expensive. However, given that they are making a one off, I suppose I have to accept the cost will be much higher than mass produced cables.

My current thinking is I'll re-use my current cable by cutting the yoke off at one end, inserting a pair of 10mm stainless steel threaded adjusters, and then suage a new yoke on the cut end. This keeps all the ends, and the pull arrangement standard, but eliminates the poor nylon nut adjuster.

To get the best of both worlds (a better cable and a low cost!) I may send my existing cable to Speedycables, or cable-Tec and have them add the steel adjusters and suage a new end on to my existing cable, as it will be a better finish than me trying to silver solder an end on.

Mike

Comment

This thread keeps reminding me of problems I had getting Millie through SVA. I can’t remember if there was a time limit on getting a retest but I nearly fell foul of a time limit on insurance. Flux only allowed insurance on an unregistered vehicle for a limited period. I can’t remember how long. They were quite content to invalidate my insurance with no refund. I manage to argue that the retest delay was outside of my control and they allowed me an extra week or so. Not sure if this applies to you but it might be worth checking.
                            I enjoy remembering the good bits too but you can’t get caught out by those.
                            Paul

Comment

Hi Paul

There is a period of 6 months allowed to re-present my car - even I should manage that! Though it could be next year before I get the time to work on sorting out the few things I have to do.

Mike
                              Last edited by Mike; 17-11-13, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by millie_marlin View Post
                                This thread keeps reminding me of problems I had getting Millie through SVA. I can’t remember if there was a time limit on getting a retest but I nearly fell foul of a time limit on insurance. Flux only allowed insurance on an unregistered vehicle for a limited period. I can’t remember how long. They were quite content to invalidate my insurance with no refund. I manage to argue that the retest delay was outside of my control and they allowed me an extra week or so. Not sure if this applies to you but it might be worth checking.
                                I enjoy remembering the good bits too but you can’t get caught out by those.
                                Paul

Sorry Paul, I didn't really respond to your advice about the insurance. I have just swapped to Adrian Flux so it could be very relevant.
                                Currently they have stated it will be OK to use the Chassis VIN until my Cabrio is issued with an official Registation document, though they have not issued a time limit (- that I am aware of?).

How long was it between you taking out your insurance and receiving your offical registration number?

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X