Mike's Cabrio Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

Made a bit of unexpected progress on Sunday morning.

Although we had all three offspring home for the weekend to celebrate various family birthdays, their sleeping habits are still those of students, so had a few hours to complete the bumper and glass radius edge IVA items, remove my spare wheel, which if presented would fail (but is not a required test item), and source a part worn 195/65/14 tyre for £10 (to match my other rear tyre - just to get me through the test).

I only have the handbrake to source and fit now, so I've decided to order a bog standard Sierra one from ebay, and will then shorthen it, and probably send it to Speedy Cables, or Cable-Tec to have a new end suaged on, as this will be quicker than making a new one with independent cables.

So, IVA this year?

It may just be possible...............!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Made a bit of unexpected progress on Sunday morning.

Although we had all three offspring home for the weekend to celebrate various family birthdays, their sleeping habits are still those of students, so had a few hours to complete the bumper and glass radius edge IVA items, remove my spare wheel, which if presented would fail (but is not a required test item), and source a part worn 195/65/14 tyre for £10 (to match my other rear tyre - just to get me through the test).

I only have the handbrake to source and fit now, so I've decided to order a bog standard Sierra one from ebay, and will then shorthen it, and probably send it to Speedy Cables, or Cable-Tec to have a new end suaged on, as this will be quicker than making a new one with independent cables.

So, IVA this year?

It may just be possible...............!
      Hi Mike,

Here's how it looks to me...................................!!

Cable delivery - 3 to 4 days.

Shorten cable - 2 to 3 hours

Modifications by Speedy Cables inc postage and return - 5-6 days.

Re-fit and test - 1/2 day.

So. IVA before Christmas. That will be hell of a present. All you'll need is a nice big bow to tie around it!!

Got to be worth a go...................................

Best of luck

Nigel

Comment

"How long was it between you taking out your insurance and receiving your offical registration number?"

Well it was eight years ago so things may have changed. This is a note I made at the time:

... there is no time to waste at least two counters begin ticking when you first enter the SVA process. The first is VOSA imposed deadline of six months for retests. The second is a legal requirement not to insure a car for more than 30 days without a registration number. The insurance I took out had a no cancel clause and they threatened to cancel my insurance without a refund. When pressed they trumped up a further 30 days and as a result of a DVLA mix up, beyond my control, a final extra 7 days.

I took my time thinking I had six months so it was a real shock to find the 30 day deadline. I am not convinced that it is a “legal” requirement but then I have a jaundiced view of insurers.
        Paul

Comment

I can't remember who I insured with, but I did have to shop around. My cabrio was insured against its chassis number from March to September while I went through IVA and re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by nigel View Post
            Hi Mike,

Here's how it looks to me...................................!!

Cable delivery - 3 to 4 days.

Shorten cable - 2 to 3 hours

Modifications by Speedy Cables inc postage and return - 5-6 days.

Re-fit and test - 1/2 day.

So. IVA before Christmas. That will be hell of a present. All you'll need is a nice big bow to tie around it!!

Got to be worth a go...................................

Best of luck

Nigel
            If only..................

I knew that building my Cabrio for comfort has cost me a lot in terms of time (and cost) in the build process, but it is continuing to add to the running time maintenance too.
            I'm pleased I've done it, because the seats are so comfortable, and set down, allowing me to see through the windscreen at a sensible height, but what might have been a simple job in a standard Cabrio to remove the handbrake cable, is anything but in mine.

To remove the hand brake cable clevis pin (to the handbrake) has turned into:
            Empty the fuel tank - it was full , in compliance with the IVA requirement
            Remove the exhaust }
            Remove the fuel tank } so that I can extract the prop shaft through the rear bulkhead hole
            Remove the diff }

Even then I still have to remove the P clips I fitted around some cable outer casing to guide the handbrake cable along the tunnel (to prevent inner cable vibrating against the tunnel as it is so narrow and compressed): and of course they have their bolts hidden under my carpets, so I do not know how I will be able to undo them!
            I removed the exhaust, fuel tank and diff last night, and reached the point of wondering how to stop the P-clip bolts rotating round, but by then was cold, fed up, and reaking of petrol ( just one drop goes a long way, and smells for even longer), so gave up and came in for warmth and mental refreshment!

I shall be away on business now until the weekend, so another week passes by .................. this is why I worry about getting there by Christmas!!!!

But if I do, I'll certainly tie a bow on it, and post the photo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Last edited by Mike; 20-11-13, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Mike I have just been watching some more Kit n Cruising and they are building a Quantum which uses a Sierra as a doner. They stated that Quantum supply their own brake cable as the Sierra one is prone to failure, maybe try them?

Comment

Doesnt the quantum use a drum brake set up at the rear Adrian?

Comment

Yep your right, damn. Sorry for the bum information Mike.

Comment

Does it not depend on the donor sierra?

Comment

I've been here before.........................

Exhaust off
                      Petrol tank out
                      Diff down
                      Prop disconnected

Diff Out 007.jpg

Just to remove the handbrake clevis pin - didn't think that one through when I made my transmission tunnel so narrow I can't even get my fingers down the side of the prop shaft

Diff Out 008.jpg

Diff Out 009.jpg
                      Last edited by Mike; 22-11-13, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Hey Mike,
                        whilst you've got it all apart, is it worth cutting an access panel in the top of your tunnel for future use?
                        You could cover it inside the car with a suitable sized 'trinket tray' or cup holder or something similar?
                        Just a thought...
                        ...peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peterx View Post
                          Hey Mike,
                          whilst you've got it all apart, is it worth cutting an access panel in the top of your tunnel for future use?
                          You could cover it inside the car with a suitable sized 'trinket tray' or cup holder or something similar?
                          Just a thought...
                          ...peter

Nice idea Peter, and I did consider doing it, but have decided that I want to add a centre exhaust silencer, which at 75mm diameter will fill the in side of my transmission tunnel, making it impossible to feed the hand brake cable through without removing the exhaust, and probably the propshaft.

Several guys have removed a lower section of the bulkhead plate that forms the hole around the prop shaft to allow the prop to be removed without taking the diff out. I quite like the idea, but wonder how much strength it takes away from the bulkhead? However, even if I did this, I'm not sure I have enough splined movement on my propshaft to allow the flange to clear the diff spigot sufficiently to allow it to be lowered, which if it isn't, would make it a waste of time.

On balance I've decided I will just put it all back together, and hope that the handbrake cable will last a very long time before I have to go through the routine again. At least with the new adjusters I'm fitting the nylon nut issue has been eliminated.

Handbrake Cable 001.jpg

Cable-Tec sent me two steel cable adjusters (without asking for payment), so that I could determine my outer and then inner cable lengths with them fitted.
                          I drilled the (poor quality) threads out of two nylon nuts, and used them as the locators for the new steel adjusters to slide through, and fitted a pair of stainless lock nuts to set the adjustment.

Handbrake Cable 00 copy1.jpg

This arrangement will give me over 150mm for adjustement, and hopefully will last for years.
                          I bought a new handbrake cable from ebay, but decided the outer sleeve on my old one is much better quality, and with its rubber coated outer sleeve is much better than the new one with its exposed coil wrapped wire outer sleeve.
                          As before with my previous cable I've inserted 2 x 100mm lengths of old outer sleeve in the middle of the cable which are P-clipped to the tunnel to act as guides for the cable from the adjusters to the hand brake D bracket to prevent the cable vibrating against the tunnel in its relaxed state.

Handbrake Cable 006.jpg

Handbrake Cable 005.jpg

So, all I have to do now is package the cable off to Cable-Tec to get them to swage a new end on at the required length, and wait for its return. Maybe, next weekend I will be able to get it all put back together, and then Ill be ready to submit my Cabrio for its re-test.
                          Last edited by Mike; 24-11-13, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Mike. If you have a look at the photo that I sent you a while ago re my handbrake cable routing I think it shows that the rear bulkhead on my hunter was open at the bottom. There was then a shaped angle plate bolted under the propshaft which I believe was added as an original SVA requirement to contain the prop in the event of a breakage! With that removed you only need to move the splined joint in a fraction to clear the step in the flange for the propto drop clear. Peter.

Comment

Mike

My hunter has the removable plate, I am sure it was nothing to do with SVA and all about allowing the prop to be taken out without dropping the diff. I would not worry about strength, the standard hunter chassis has no flanges at the back edge of the floor to tunnel joint next to the prop which allows the bulkhead to flex a worrying amount, I fixed mine by welding flanges in, you have done the same with your altered floors. So compared to the standard Marlin arrangement yours and mine are far stronger.

John

Comment

Originally posted by cabrioman View Post
                                Mike

My hunter has the removable plate, I am sure it was nothing to do with SVA and all about allowing the prop to be taken out without dropping the diff. I would not worry about strength, the standard hunter chassis has no flanges at the back edge of the floor to tunnel joint next to the prop which allows the bulkhead to flex a worrying amount, I fixed mine by welding flanges in, you have done the same with your altered floors. So compared to the standard Marlin arrangement yours and mine are far stronger.

John
                                Hi John

Had a trawl through your flickr photos and found these - hope you don't mind me copying it on to here to show what you are describing? I may remove this section in mine now that I've seen this.
                                (This is the beauty of posting photos - someone always finds something you never even thought about when taking the photo!)

Thanks for the photos John

Mike
                                Last edited by Mike; 28-11-13, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X