Mike's Cabrio Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

Ah; that drive home with the pass certificate. I’m fairly sure the remnants of that grin are still on my face 8 years on.
    Hearty congratulations on a well deserved pass. In amongst the to-do list don’t forget to enjoy the simple pleasure of driving her.
    DVLA work in mysterious ways so I would not be too sure of the registration no. Millie has an age related plate but not that of the donor.
    As for colour my only advice is to look at real cars and picture yours in that colour. It is easier to give the painter a specific car colour than pick a colour from a swatch. The more expensive the paint job is the less inclined I would be to use the car. No matter how careful you are the paint is bound to get damaged especially when people reverse onto you (three times so far!). Solid colours are easier to repair.
    I hope you enjoy the car and continue to post any enhancements you make here.
    Paul

Comment

I DID get stopped by plod driving back from my IVA pass, no number plates, no tax disk. Roadside plod wasn't happy with an insurance certificate show chassis number, and a letter from VOSA inviting me to attend a re-test. We had to hang around for 10 minutes or so while waiting for confirmation from chief plod on the radio that everything was kosher.

And on the DVLA. Well I did post the saga of my dealings with them 3 years ago, but in essence if your car has used a single donor then you should get a number plate of the same year as the donor. However be prepared to argue your case as DVLA personnel don't always seem to know their own rules, or have their own interpretation of the rules.

Comment

Registration

The current registration process is still the same Chris, which means my Cabrio should be allocated an age related registration based on my Sierra donor car.
        My application is blurred a little because of the BMW engine and gearbox, but the front and rear suspension, two axles, brakes, and complete steering system, are all from the donor Sierra and are more than adequate to meet their current rules for an age related plate.

The reason I say should receive a V5c with MAG 111D is that I included with my V55/5 - 'Application For A First Tax Disc & Registration' - a request to transfer my private registration plate onto my Cabrio after it has been formally accepted for registration: it seemed logical to do this in one process rather than have two separate goes at it.

Whether DVLA will prove up to it, and get it right first time remains to be seen!

Comment

"Logical" The DVLA you must be joking! As for the colour how about Mr. Kippling raspberry red!!
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

When my Roadster was built in 1981 by Derek Giles using a Herald 13/60 or Spitfire as the donor, the DVLA said there was not enough of the original to be able to use the donor's registration. Herald front and rear axle, Herald engine and gearbox and loom, I know it is a Imp petrol tank and Mk 3 or 4 radiator, but Derek said he did not push enough, if he had done so, mine would now be tax exempt. I wish you luck as part Sierra running gear, part BMW engine gearbox is quite a mix!!!!!!!! David.

Comment

The physical examination DVLA at Bristol gave to the car was to look at the car on the trailer, check the VIN plate and to see how many miles was on the speedo. At no point did I have to demonstrate that ANY of the components were from the donor. That was done with a paperwork exercise of me showing them a copy of the donor's log book, photos of the donor being dismantled on my drive and the appropriately filled out forms. Then we had the Q-plate / age related plate argument, which I finally won by making the examiner look at DVLA's own web site.

So provided its got a VIN plate and a speedo I guess I could have got away with presenting a Routemaster bus.

Comment

Originally posted by chris.cussen View Post
                The physical examination DVLA at Bristol gave to the car was to look at the car on the trailer, check the VIN plate and to see how many miles was on the speedo. At no point did I have to demonstrate that ANY of the components were from the donor. That was done with a paperwork exercise of me showing them a copy of the donor's log book, photos of the donor being dismantled on my drive and the appropriately filled out forms. Then we had the Q-plate / age related plate argument, which I finally won by making the examiner look at DVLA's own web site.

So provided its got a VIN plate and a speedo I guess I could have got away with presenting a Routemaster bus.
                As they have now closed down the local DVLA at Peterborough I am rather hoping I do not have to take my car to Swansea - I live on the East coast in Lincolnshire - (should have built a boat not kit car!).

Comment

DVLA Registration process

Rather cheekily I contacted DVLA this morning to enquire how my application for first registration and road tax was progressing (I am aware they have an internal rule to process applications within 10 working days). So accepting the disruption Christmas/New Year must cause I was deliberately not pushy, but just wanted to make sure my request for a personalised plate wasn't causing any unnecessary complications?

The response was a surprise: everything seems OK, except they have processed a letter, yet to be sent, requesting I have my car weighed and send them the certificate confirming its weight!!

This seemed strange, particularly since my Cabrio's IVA pass certificate stated the operating weight of my Cabrio as 1,035kg (960kg curb weight + a nominal 75kg driver). This (curb) weight was recorded on VOSA's own weigh bridge at Nottingham, so must be official.

I contacted my IVA inspector, expecting to ask a favour of him to confirm the weight of my Cabrio back to me to then forward on to DVLA, Swansea.

However, he advised me to send my details to the senior man at VOSA for kit cars (Mark Vickers) who is based at DVLA, Swansea, who would personally approach the DVLA team processing kit car registrations to advise them that they were being given the correct weight information on the IAC form (IVA pass certificate), and that provided there is no other information required by DVLA my application should proceed without the need for me to supply them with any further weight information. We may complain about the lack of joined up Government, but at least it sounds like this guy is trying to join the dots...........

.....................so am I being too optimistic to hope I can look forward to receiving my tax disc, and advice on registration next week allowing me to get my new number plates made, and get out onto the Queens highways?

Mike
                  Last edited by Mike; 03-01-14, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Mike, Have you allowed for the department's Christmas do then Christmas jumper day followed by the Girls night out and day after giggling about what went on, not to mention a day off for Christmas shopping.Then nothing happens until the Christmas decorations are taken down after the twelve night . Best of luck I am still waiting for my TV licence that should have arrived in the middle of November.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

.....................so am I being too optimistic to hope I can look forward to receiving my tax disc, and advice on registration next week allowing me to get my new number plates made, and get out onto the Queens highways?

Mike

Mike,

Things are looking better at DVLA.

I know its not kit car related but I bought myself a 125cc twist and go for my new daily commute from home to Reading Station.

The bike was delivered to me on Thursday, the day after I bought it. The tax disc arrived on Saturday and the V5C three days later on Christmas eve.

I was very pleasantly surprised so I hope things continue smoothly for you too.

Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        DVLA Registration process.

Mike
                        Any news, Mike?

Comment

Originally posted by Peterx View Post
                          Any news, Mike?
                          Hi Peter

Slowly move the wheels of Government........................

Yes, there has been some development.

I was contacted by Mark Vickers from VOSA to confirm DVLA had made an error in their processing of my application when asking for the weight of my Cabrio (it is recorded on the IVA pass form (IAC)), so he confirmed I would not be required to provide them with a certified weighbridge weight of the car.

However, when I received the DVLA's letter through the post, as well as the weight question, they had also asked for form V627/1 - " Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report" to be completed, signed, and returned.

This sounds much more daunting than it turned out to be. Basically it asked me to self certify the origin of the chassis - ie New Marlin Cabrio chassis with receipt, and donor Sierra axles, steering assembley, to assess whether it qualifies for an age related plate.

This was a little frustrating as I had already submitted all this information on a typed sheet of A4 (as I wanted to ensure my Cabrio receives an age related plate), which the clerk accepted gave him all the information required, but then politely insisted it had to be on a V627/1 !
                          No point arguing, so, I sent it back by return on Thursday and am waiting to see if they now issue me with an age related V5c registration?

There are times when you know you are dealing with a simple soul, so I gave up trying to get my personalised registration transferred on to my Cabrio in one simplified process, and will now take it one step at a time..............!

Watch this space....................

Comment

Its not so much being a simple soul as its because they can!

Comment

Suspension Bushes:

Although my Cabrio passed its IVA test, we did note the alarming clearance the ARB D bushes were showing whilst it was up on the ramps. I made a mental note to check them later. When back home I found I had fitted the 28mm rubber bushes, despite changing the ARB to a 24mm version: hence the clearance, and I would have to change them.

I considered 3 options, each with their own pro's and con's:

1. Fit new standard Sierra 24mm rubber D mounts
                              2. Fit new 24mm Superflex D mounts
                              3. Go the "whole hog", remove the ARB, and fit compression struts

Cost ruled out compression struts at this stage, (around £200 with VAT and delivery) and reading various threads on the Ford Sierra sites suggested the standard Ford D rubbers allow significant movement of the ARB, and therefore wheel alignment.

So I chose Superflex D bushes.

However, even that choice was not straight forward - there are two sizes of ARB chassis cap fitted to the Sierra - "Large" and "Small", and the right sized bush has to be chosen to suit. Mine turned out to be "large" (thanks to Peter Licence for helping identify the issue).
                              Apparently Cosworths and some of the last ordinary Sierra's were fitted with "large " caps and bushes.

I have now received my "large" Superflex bushes to suit my small 24mm ARB - an unusual combination.

It will be interesting to compare the ride to the previous rubber mounts.

Superflex 003.jpg

Note the difference in the hole diameter - it looks to be much more than 24mm to 28mm (the size can just be seen in the bottom left corner on the rubber D bush?)

Why did I choose Superflex? - colour! - I didn't like the purple ones from Polyflex!
                              Last edited by Mike; 15-01-14, 03:44 PM.

Comment

On the basis I have tried to make this diary a 'warts and all' account...........

Whilst up on the ramps on IVA Test day, we could see there was clear daylight showing through the ARB D bushes around the ARB itself:

This is exactly how it appeared when it passed the IVA Test!

As posted yesterday, I ordered a pair of 'Large' ARB D polyurathane bushes from Superflex, and decided to fit them this evening: Not a long job, but it proved a little embarassing.............

Peter Licence had warned me that Ford fitted two sizes of steel cap to the ARB D bushes - known plainly as 'Large' and 'Small'.

After I had taken both old bushes out and replaced them with the new Superflex bushes, this is what I found:

I could not have got it more mixed up!
                                One of the bushes was a 24mm diameter bush - but 'Small' in overall size:
                                The other was a 'Large' bush - suited to my large steel caps, but was for a 28mm ARB! The photo at the begining shows the 'Small' 24mm bush in a 'Large' cap hence the opening up of the bush creating the space around the ARB.

This just shows what you can do when you are unaware of what you should know!!

No harm done - but a lesson learned: Ford fitted 'Large' ARB D bushes to the Cosworth, and 'Small' ones to the remaining Sierras - except, being Ford, they then fitted 'Large' ones to some very late standard Sierras! - presumably to use up the surplus in the parts bin before discontinuing the Sierra.

Then for a bit of fun..................

Cameron posted many moons ago about a company called HEKO who will make soft badges with any design you provide them with..............so I had these made, and have fitted them to the standard Ford (Cosworth 3 spoke) steering wheel, and handbrake:

Last edited by Mike; 17-01-14, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X