Pictures please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pictures please

Hi Mike, would love to know where and when your second dash photo was taken. That is my car "Ruby"/ I made a new dash when i bought her a few years ago. Cheers Chris

Comment

Hi Adrian, I took the trouble to get mirror matching walnut burr veneer for the front and mahogany for the back and stuck it onto MDF. I used impact adhesive and subsequently found out that I used the wrong glue as after 6 coats of varnish it still cracked. The modern polyurethane glues would have been a much better bet. I wired it up so that the back wiring all came together in a multi-plug to match that on the Sierra loom. I plugged it in and everything worked. I put enough spare cable length so that to take out the dash I simply had to undo 4 bolts and the speedo. Over the years I have subsequently added a few other things. Regarding small dials, I only put in the petrol gauge and the water temp. I felt I would rather not see what was going on with oil pressure and electrics - I am a born worrier so best to reduce the things to worry about!

Comment

Originally posted by ruby131 View Post
        Hi Mike, would love to know where and when your second dash photo was taken. That is my car "Ruby"/ I made a new dash when i bought her a few years ago. Cheers Chris
        Hi Chris

Most of these photos would have been taken in the early 1990s at Stoneleigh.
        Those were the halcyon days when there were newly completed Roadsters, Berlinettas, and Cabrios at every show.

Its a shame I didn't get to see Ruby when we met up at the pub in Lympstone - maybe next time we are down in your neck of the woods on holiday?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by keithh View Post
          [ATTACH]4099[/ATTACH]
          ..........there are no new ideas!
          I thought I had been one of the first to introduce a central heater vent into my Cabrio - yet here's a photo of it done in a YKC obviously some time ago.

Was this a standard fitment idea in the YKC?

Mike
          Last edited by Mike; 30-08-13, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike, that would be good. Let me know if you are coming this way again....Cheers Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              ..........there are no new ideas!
              I thought I had been one of the first to introduce a central heater vent into my Cabrio - yet here's a photo of it done in a YKC obviously some time ago.

Was this a standard fitment idea in the YKC?

Mike
              My Cabrio version with a central vent - hopefully the next photo of it will see it fitted and operable in my car!

Comment

here y'are mike...
                computer-duck.jpg

Comment

ok this has gone beyond my expecations, I cant beleive the response, thanks to everyone.

Comment

Hi Mike, No - it wasn't a YKC standard. I used the Sierra 3 speed blower and exchange matrix and designed a box that can divert out of the vents you see, up to the windscreen or down to the floor. I have drawings and measurements if anyone is interested.

Keith

Comment

yep interested, can you email 'em to me [email protected] please
                      ta!
                      t

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                        here y'are mike...
                        [ATTACH]4100[/ATTACH]

We've all been there...........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                          ok this has gone beyond my expecations, I cant beleive the response, thanks to everyone.
                          Hi Adrian

I don't think you should be surprised - this is the way the Forum is capable of operating, and is part of what its all about.

There must be loads of other owners who have taken their own slant on something which others would like to see. I'd like to see all the see all this type of photos tidied up and put into a gallery section under each model heading and referenced so that there is a library for anyone to easily dip into.

Cameron!.........can we put this on the list to do, please???? I'll be quite happy to help administer.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by keithh View Post
                            Hi Mike, No - it wasn't a YKC standard. I used the Sierra 3 speed blower and exchange matrix and designed a box that can divert out of the vents you see, up to the windscreen or down to the floor. I have drawings and measurements if anyone is interested.

Keith
                            This is the Sierra heater installation in the Cabrio - two plastic elbows are glassed into the top dash, and connected via standard Sierra hoses. I then used the standard central vent and connected it to a BMW 5 series air deflector set in a simple aluminium box. To make a seal I just cut a block of foam to the shape of the box , and a hole the same as the Sierra oval tube. It works a treat, and cost me £2 for the BMW dash grille from the breakers.

Last edited by Mike; 31-08-13, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Hi Tony,

If any of this doesn't make sense or you can't read it let me know

I screwed big wooden furniture knobs onto the spindles and they are used to rotate the flaps and hence send the air where it is needed. It is a hell of a heater and conversely a hell of a heat sink in lengthy traffic jams.
                              Last edited by keith_h; 31-08-13, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Hiya Mike

It is good to see and, as it should be, not one the same, great guys and girls keep them coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X