Theoretical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theoretical

Ok. Say you have a Triumph or Marina based Roadster that needs a IVA.
    What are the obvious fail aspects the would addressing ?
    Top of my head I assume edge radius of various parts like mudguards and interior / dash, possibly seat belt mounts height / position, edges of front suspension and it's bolts / nuts, thread on track rod ends, type approved steering wheel, speedo calibration, fuel tank need to be separate from passenger compartment, all lights E marked.
    If people can get a Locost passed then it must be possible for a Marlin !
    I've got a copy of the IVA manual but before going though it (300 pages!) with a "fine tooth comb" what thing stand out.

Thanks.

Paul H
    Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 14-01-14, 08:31 AM.

Re: Theoretical

Hi

Indicators (must be seen from particular angles), Bumpers (require radiusing), Screen surround (requires radiusing), you may have to put a roll bar on to get the height for the seat belts.

I am sure the Steering Column has to be collapsible.

A
    s I think of them I will add.

Adrian
    Last edited by listerjp2; 14-01-14, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Hi Paul

I have sent you a private message.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTrials View Post
        Hi Paul

I have sent you a private message.

Dave
        Thank Dave - have replied

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
          Hi

Indicators (must be seen from particular angles), Bumpers (require radiusing), Screen surround (requires radiusing), you may have to put a roll bar on to get the height for the seat belts.

I am sure the Steering Column has to be collapsible.

A
          s I think of them I will add.

Adrian
          I don't think anything is too daunting during a full rebuild to make IVA compliant. The problem will arise when people buy a good car for serious money and then are reluctant to do what can be seemed as serious / substantial work to make road legal. Even the old sealed beams and other 7" lights with the raised bosses on the lenses are now a fail. How many people have such on their cars - probably tens of thousands !

Paul

Comment

I think that any 30+ year old design will struggle to become Road Legal with todays IVA, future regulations can only get tighter, and the goalposts moved during the build. Each individual requirement, requiring modification, in isolation may be simple, but when each begins to interact with the other who knows what can of worms will be uncovered.

The requirement is to take a completed car to the IVA test, there is no consultancy service, unless you know a tester personally.

Far better to take a Fully Legal car, and then make modifications to it with a nod towards the IVA. You might argue that costs are significantly different, but with the experience of a recent Berlinetta build that has become little more than a garden ornament, the money and time you invest on an unregistered car may be wasted.

My personal opinion of course, but being the first to try to put a Roadster through an IVA will not be for the faint hearted or shallow walleted.

Comment

Hi all

When i put my car through the IVA a couple of years ago, there was a raft of paperwork with design approvals, tests done by universities as to strengths and braking weights etc as well as reference to IVA/SVA approval. Any components which are part of the build from production vehicles could be called into question as were in the berlinetta build.

I would be very wary of spending money on a car which has not had an IVA pass with the relevent backup of manufactures design specifications and testing.

Just my opinion of course.

Dave

Comment

Dont forget the sheer pleasure that is had from building a car - even if you never get it near an iva station or even the road, the pleasure is in the creation of a complete automobile from almost nothing.
                Trouble is the IVA is so much in the hands of the individual tester and what they think is important towards safety; some are real sticklers and others, it seems, more relaxed and enjoy seeing another hand-built bespoke car hit the road.
                By the way, would anyone object to me displaying a dutton sierra on the club stand at Stoneleigh ? It looks incredibly like a YKC Romero you know! (JOking).

Comment

My son put a picture on facebook of his Mk1 roadster visiting the sea side and some one thought it was a Melos!! but most people just wanted to buy the roadster. OH and we always have a Rickman Ranger on the stand !
                  Last edited by b_caswell; 14-01-14, 06:32 PM.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                    Dont forget the sheer pleasure that is had from building a car - even if you never get it near an iva station or even the road, the pleasure is in the creation of a complete automobile from almost nothing.
                    Trouble is the IVA is so much in the hands of the individual tester and what they think is important towards safety; some are real sticklers and others, it seems, more relaxed and enjoy seeing another hand-built bespoke car hit the road.
                    By the way, would anyone object to me displaying a dutton sierra on the club stand at Stoneleigh ? It looks incredibly like a YKC Romero you know! (JOking).
                    I had a Dutton Sierra convertible. Definitely the lower end of the kit car market !

Pal H

Comment

I knew a farmer who had two Dutton sierras - he thought they were amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                        I knew a farmer who had two Dutton sierras - he thought they were amazing!
                        I think the pick-up and estate are good vehicles but he convertible like I had was horrible. Poor hood over a large area and no doors ! There again it was free

Comment

Working...
                        X